ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering what your opinions are of a Lightweight Crank Pulley, such as the Grimmspeed model on Rallysportdirect.

GrimmSpeed Lightweight Pulley Black Most Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2011 WRX / STI) at RallySportDirect.com

Wondering if any of you have done this modification and what you thought about it, or if you think it is worth it at all. I have maybe $300 or so, give or take a little, for a few people to get me things between them for Christmas :) haha

I know I was orinally planning on getting the Invidia Catless DP, but decided to hold out till the spring when I can afford to get the Nameless Catted DP. Sooo, as of now, I was thinking of ordering the following:

- Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley
- Gates Stretchbelt Pulley Adapter
- STi "Group N" Transmission Mount
- Whiteline Transmission Crossmember Bushings (aka "positive shift kit")

Feel free to let me know whether you think that is a good use of that money or wheter you think something should be added/taken away. I've got until Friday when the sales start to make up my mind, so hurry up with the advice! :p
If you think I should watch out for anything else that might be worthwhile getting while the sales are on, please let me know!

Once again guys, appreciate all feedback and advice :)

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Skip the pulley. Have you replaced all the shifter bushings yet?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup, done the front/rear and pivot bushings a week or more ago, got the linkage ones at home, just got to get around to doing it cause I know they are going to be a PITA haha

Any suggestions then? I was also kinda thinking on maybe getting the SMY cluster w/boost and OP gauge, any thoughts?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
J_Maher_WRX said:
yup, done the front/rear and pivot bushings a week or more ago, got the linkage ones at home, just got to get around to doing it cause I know they are going to be a PITA haha

Any suggestions then? I was also kinda thinking on maybe getting the SMY cluster w/boost and OP gauge, any thoughts?
$300 will cover much of those Defi gauges we talked about ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That honestly made me laugh out loud :D haha

Nah man, Defi boost is 195, plus 150 for the SMY, over my budget and not even including shipping haha

Come on EJ!! Give me some ideas!! Haha what's the reasoning behind ditching the pulley? It should increase mpg, help the car accelerate more, especially as I continue to mod, and make shifting smoother/down shifting easier right??

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Haha what's the reasoning behind ditching the pulley? It should increase mpg, help the car accelerate more, especially as I continue to mod, and make shifting smoother/down shifting easier right??
Two answers to that actually.

The short answer is no.

The long answer, more thought out, compares the mass of the stock pulley vs. the mass of the new pulley, and considers that Δ with respect to the location of the pulley, the overall rotating mass of the motor, and so on. The long answer is generally also no.

Now, if you factor in the expense of the new pulley plus the hoops newer Impreza owners need to jump through because of their tensioner-free system, then the answer becomes no.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm seems like I'll be ditching that initial list then :( haha

Spose I'll just get the SMY w/prosport boost and oil pressure if I can.

SD any other suggestions that might be worth looking at? I know you're pretty much against modding a car and whatnot but I still would like to have your advice if you have any to give??

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,225 Posts
Well that depends on what you would like to improve. You could look at a sway as mentioned, plus end links, and the bars are usually adjustable so you could have some choice in how the car handles. You could also look at gauges - you don't necessarily have to get DEFI since they are $.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd just get a rear sway bar for $200 & endlinks for $115.
Hmm never really considered that, good point tony! How much of a difference would that honestly make though, considering I would just be getting the rear sway and not a front one? I guess I'd prob go with at least a 20 or 22 and preferably adjustable. Any brand better than another? I know Whiteline seems to be a fairly popular choice.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I have the Whiteline 22 mm sway in the rear with kartboy endlinks.I drove around with just the upgraded rear bar for a month.Cornering is definitely better.The car does handle better,less body roll.

It is even better when both sways are upgraded.But if you are on a budget,then you could do the rear now & front later.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well that's good to know, I should probably mention though that I'll be getting the nameless downpipe for my birthday in may, once again a gift from several people.

Which is why I originally said I'd get the SMY plus the two gauges, just for a bit of reassurance and safety. So if I get the rear sway now, I definitely won't have any gauges for when I flash to stage 2, just won't have the money for it. Sooo, do you guys think its fairly safe and I'd be better off just getting the sway/endlinks, or should I go the gauges route, just to make sure?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts