Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas. My bro has an '98 Acura Integra LS. I'll probably be getting him the H&R Performance Sport springs, but I may also get him other stuff. Does anyone know which sway bars are good for those cars? What else could be a good gift that's under $200?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Do a search...

ON A HONDA FORUM!!!

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Buy him a huge wing, or maybe one of those NAWS Bass tubes :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trailboss said:
Buy him a huge wing, or maybe one of those NAWS Bass tubes :D
You guys are getting the wrong impression. This car was a hand-me-down from my MOM! lol And believe me, he's very anti-rice as with the rest of the guys in his forum (or so he tells me). Now, it'd be a different story if my own lil bro was driving a Civic...

·
Registered
291 Posts
my bro have a 99 GSR and i'm getting him a short shifter. it's less than $200 and it won't rice out his car. i think he'll like it cause free is always nice.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Get him a B16 or B18C head man. Add vtec to that LS of his. The additional flow and the benefit of vtec will be great and it wont put a huge dent in the wallet. That would be the first step before I would even think about modding the car. Short shifter to accompany the new toy would add alot more enjoyment to the car. Again, and I cant stress it enough, go with the B16a or b18c heads man, they will add alot of power without ricing out the car at all.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WishIHadWRX said:
Get him a B16 or B18C head man. Add vtec to that LS of his. The additional flow and the benefit of vtec will be great and it wont put a huge dent in the wallet. That would be the first step before I would even think about modding the car. Short shifter to accompany the new toy would add alot more enjoyment to the car. Again, and I cant stress it enough, go with the B16a or b18c heads man, they will add alot of power without ricing out the car at all.
Is the B16 and B18C a "header" or am I thinking of something else? I have no clue, but how do I "add VTEC" to his engine? He was thinking of getting a 4-2-1 header, didn't matter which kind. Also thinking of getting a catback.

He has an automatic (I told you, this was my mom's car before!!)

So, how much would the B16 or B18C w/ VTEC cost?

·
Registered
291 Posts
oh, i guest short shifter would do no good then. header would be nice or even CIA. Or get him to trade it in and get a WRX plus the $200 you were planning to give him.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Is the B16 and B18C a "header" or am I thinking of something else? I have no clue, but how do I "add VTEC" to his engine? He was thinking of getting a 4-2-1 header, didn't matter which kind. Also thinking of getting a catback.
B16a and B18C are engine codes for the civic SI and integra GSR respectively. The LS is the only model tegra without vtec. The head (not header) is the part of the engine which contains the valvetrain, cams, yada yada. The LS one = poopoo. For the price of that header or catback you were thinking about, you could drop a tremendous amount of power into his car by finding a used head off of a b16a or b18c and bolting it wiht MINOR modification. Both of these two heads contain a system (dont know how it works really) where when the RPM's reach a certain point its tuning becomes that of high end. Thus giving low end where its due and high end where its due. You add this by bolting on one of the two heads onto the LS motor. The fact that you asked me if the head was a header kind makes me iffy on whether this would be a bit too involved. But if you can figure it out, a very worthwhile mod.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WishIHadWRX said:
The fact that you asked me if the head was a header kind makes me iffy on whether this would be a bit too involved. But if you can figure it out, a very worthwhile mod.
No, you're right. It'd be a bit too much for me to do this for him. But it doesn't sound too hard to go to the local junkyard and see if there are any 'heads' laying around. I'll look into it. Thanks a lot for your help!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
you can't ADD VTEC. vtec is a valve and lifter timing technology utilized to increase horsepower without increasing displacement.

toyota, subaru and other car companys all have their own version. basically, it's a method to increase performance without a whole lot or reengineering an exisitng engine model.

honda people think it makes their car's go the speed of sound, when in fact, it's only good for 10-20 more hp peak, and a less flat hp/tq curve.

dR

·
Registered
314 Posts
you can't ADD VTEC. vtec is a valve and lifter timing technology utilized to increase horsepower without increasing displacement.
Yes, you can. By placing a VTEC head onto the engine you can make vtec. I have friends with LS-Vtecs and B20Vtecs. Neither came from factory with Vtec, but you place either the integra GSR/R head or Civic SI head on it and yes, you added VTEC

·
Registered
307 Posts
You most certainly can Paco. Mostly made famous with the LS/VTEC or now the CRVTEC which uses a Honda CRV 2 liter engine and a B16 or B18 head so it has torque and VTEC, some of those CRVTEC guys are getting pretty insane numbers out of an NA 2 liter.

dark_rex said:

toyota, subaru and other car companys all have their own version. basically, it's a method to increase performance without a whole lot or reengineering an exisitng engine model.

honda people think it makes their car's go the speed of sound, when in fact, it's only good for 10-20 more hp peak, and a less flat hp/tq curve.

dR

·
Registered
314 Posts
Indeed, quite easy to do and very potent. Tell the CRVetecs and LS/Vtecs you cant do it then. You swap a B16/B18 head on the block and voiloza you have vtec. Woohoo, time to go kill some ferraris, because less weight + Vtec makes you win.:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts