ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I feel stupid.

I was driving home today, and tried to turn on my A/C. The little light went on, but the air stayed warm. After fiddling with a few things, I concluded that the system must be empty (not likely since it worked correctly a month or so ago) or there was a fuse or something wrong.

So I park in my garage, pop the hood, and notice.....the STi intercooler that I installed a few months ago has butted up against the A/C line, and worn a hole clear through the aluminum line from rubbing up against it. (Please, spare the laughter and/or flaming) The system is completely dry.

So, my question is, can I patch the line with some sort of JB Weld-type material (or some other metal-emulating liquid), or do I have to replace the whole line?

I realize that later, I'm going to have to put some sort of buffer (rubber or something) between the IC and the A/C line. That's no problem, and I can take care of that. Can anyone help me with the problem more at hand?

Thanks,
DumbAssRacing

·
Banned
8,368 Posts
You want to put a little piece of hose around the AC line there so the intercooler doesn't do that..... errr.....

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, right, but what do I do about the hole in my A/C line? The rubber hose won't prevent the pressurized refrigerant from escaping...

·
Registered
164 Posts
So, my question is, can I patch the line with some sort of JB Weld-type material (or some other metal-emulating liquid), or do I have to replace the whole line?

chances are that u probbaly have to replace the whole line. the refrigerant is under pressure and i don't think its is a good idea to patch the line. you might call around to some junkyard to see if they have any. maybe some of the older subaru use the same line. depending on the size of the hole, i guess if you wanna roll the dice and try the welding material, you can put a rubber hose over the area after u bonded and tighten it really tight with a hose clamp to keep pressure on it. that way it can be protected from the intercooler also. i think that might work but not sure.. some ideas i guess

·
Registered
373 Posts
my buddy located a wrecked sedan that is being parted out for me to take the fenders and bumper off so I am sure that line would still be ok. When I get more info I will find out for you.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
MileHighWRX said:
my buddy located a wrecked sedan that is being parted out for me to take the fenders and bumper off so I am sure that line would still be ok. When I get more info I will find out for you.
OT- Oh oh! I need a cross member from a WRX. Will that be available?-OT

Anyway, sorry to hear about that, but I would replace the whole line.

-Ryan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts