Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
From all the reading and research I've done on this board and others, I have seen a trend developing in the interaction between Subaru enthusiasts and Mitsubishi lovers. People these days have grown fond of finding tiny details about either car in an attempt to discredit it or validate their car of choice. Price, engine design, turbo use, drivetrain, or electronic management have all come under beavy scrutiny as excitement mounts pending the release of the new USDM STi and the EVO VIII. These aspects of the cars should be scrutinized, discussed, compared, contrasted, and criticized. But, and there is always a but, at what point do we stop getting in a D**K measuring contest and just go with personal preference? The specifics of these cars are very different in a lot of ways, but ultimately the end products are two cars that fill the same niche and perform to similar specifications. Top speed is negligible, nobody would race an EVO vs an STi in a straight line long enough to top out sixth gear. Handling are both easily equalized with the massive overflow of commonly accessorized parts, and they both use AWD technology. If it were not for looks, we could put a 300HP dune buggy in their same class. Some people prefer the spartan interior of the EVO, find its "trimmed down" appearance more appealing, while some peple prefer the race-designed interior of the STi. What we should realize about these differences is that they are cosmetic. Trying to speak poorly of one car or another becasue of its interior is like saying a red car won't run the 1/4 mile as fast as a black one...
The question of $value is often brought up in discussion of these two vehicles, as well it should. But, within the scope of aftermarket parts, this discussion falls flat on its face. Sure, I could mod an S4 so that it would run pretty damned good offroad and talk smack about the STi for not having luxury amenities inside, but I would pay $10K just for those mods. Well, the same applies to the EVO/STi debate. You can mod the hell out of either car, so that one is far superior to the other, but the fact of the matter is that they come as they come for the price you pay. The STi has a nicer finished look to it, it is a nicer product aesthetically, so it costs more money. It has an option of of DCCD, the EVO does not. You pay more for what you get. When it gets down to performance though, they are essentially simillar vehicles, give or take a second here and there. The numbers they publish for the STi and the EVO on the track are based on professional drivers who have been doing it all their lives. It is a rare case that the majority of these car owners would be professionally trained, making the slight differences in performance more dependant on who's behind the wheel. You could put me in a WRX against Mark Lovell in a VW bug and he would make me look like an idiot. Performance is not all the car, so to rely exlusively on the UTH power of your vehicle is foolhardy.
Ultimately, the point of all this is to say that while comparison of these two cars is helpful for buyers, it is by no means realistic to expect any one answer to come boiling out of the mix, and we should expect to see very different results in various areas of motorsports as people enjoy owning what as of now look like two completely kick @$$ new cars.

If you've read this far....HOLLA!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well said!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree to a point.... if the STI is a couple grand more then fine...if it is 3.5-4k more???? I dunno

-Shahul

BUT, VERY well stated!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by Timdog1650 Trying to speak poorly of one car or another becasue of its interior is like saying a red car won't run the 1/4 mile as fast as a black one...
[/B]
I somewhat disagree with only this point. I think that the interior is about more important than the exterior since that's what you see while driving. I haven't been an EVO VII, but the EVO VI is absolutely aweful. I started to consider cancelling my wagon when I found out that I could get an EVO VI w/ 0 miles, but I couldn't get past the interior. It looked as bad as a '91 Hyundai or something, but with awesome seats (with crappy cloth). A car is more than the performance numbers because reasonable people race their car the minority of the time. Yes, the more it is raced, the less important interior quality is, but there are very few "track only" cars. If I wanted a car only for the track, I would build me a Caterham or something like that. The fact is that it's easy to say it doesn't matter when your car doesn't have it, but one typically doesn't want to step DOWN in quality or performance.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Choosey moms choose STi.....

Powerwagon said:
The fact is that it's easy to say it doesn't matter when your car doesn't have it, but one typically doesn't want to step DOWN in quality or performance.

yeah...good point, my bust.

also...I am sick of seeing people post "FTN" on my threads. I'm pretty sure it means "F*ck the Navy" and this really isn't the place to say something like that. My college has nothing to do with a car forum. Keep your opinion about my career to yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts