ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't come up with anything. I have been having problems with my battery going dead. It has been getting worse and worse. Now it dies every time the car is off even for a short period of time. Someone told me to go get my battery tested so I did and they said it was fine that it was putting out the amount of amps it should they also told me my alternator was fine as well. So I think I have some wiring issues. I have a amp and capacitor. This is probably the first thing I will check but my question is can I use a multimeter to determine if this is the source of my problems. What setting should I use. If the amp is off I would think that there shouldn't be any current draw through the system but I am not sure how to test this. If that's not the source I think I'll be rewiring my EGT gauge.

Thanks for any suggestions or usefull links.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
The amp is simple.Is the power light on?If not then it's not that.You could use your multimeter to double check the alt by letting the car idle and checking the voltage of the battery.Should be between 13.8-14.4V.If you had a amp clamp you could see if any current was running through the car when it was turned off.Why do you think your gauge is the culpret?Is it powered by an "ignition" wire or constant power?

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The amp is simple.Is the power light on?If not then it's not that.You could use your multimeter to double check the alt by letting the car idle and checking the voltage of the battery.Should be between 13.8-14.4V.If you had a amp clamp you could see if any current was running through the car when it was turned off.Why do you think your gauge is the culpret?Is it powered by an "ignition" wire or constant power?
I think the Egt gauge might be the culpurit bcause it has a heater thing that isn't a swiched 12v source so the gauge works even though the power is off. I the gauge only lights up with the ingnition.

Couldn't the amp or the capasitor be drawing power if it's getting grounded somewhere. Shouldn't there be a way I can check for that?

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Did you try beer?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Have you checked for grounding issues? I have had a few cars from which energy seems to just disappear, and this has been suggested in the past.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Couldn't the amp or the capasitor be drawing power if it's getting grounded somewhere. Shouldn't there be a way I can check for that?
Don't know what you mean as they are already grounded.IF you mean the power wires getting grounded that = short/blown fuse usually.I would start by correctly fixing the gauge then see if the problem still exhists.From there you might start looking at maybe the trunk light switch or someother accesories.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have narrowed it down a little. It is not my amp. I have unpluged it and the battery still drains real quick.

Did you try beer?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Have you checked for grounding issues? I have had a few cars from which energy seems to just disappear, and this has been suggested in the past.
:confused: but:rotfl:mad: the same time

Were should I check for grounding issues. How do I check for grounding issuses.

I would love to be able to just hook up my tricorded and diagnose the problem.

Don't know what you mean as they are already grounded.IF you mean the power wires getting grounded that = short/blown fuse usually.I would start by correctly fixing the gauge then see if the problem still exhists.From there you might start looking at maybe the trunk light switch or someother accesories.
I'll try and fix the gauge. Couldn't I just pull that fuse before letting the car sit and see if that infact the gauge is what is causing it. It is wired into the clock radio. It seems like there should be some sort of scientific way of testing for resistance in the individual parts of the system. If it is killing my battery so quick, and the battery is not the culpurate, than shouldn't there be a big power draw somewhere. Could I test the resistance somewhere maybe accoss the fuses.

As it sits right know I have figured out I can disconnect the ground on the battery and it stays charged tell I want to start it again.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
I don't think measuring resistance is going to tell you anything in this case.You have something pulling a decent amount current when the ignition is off.You could pull the gauge fuse and then see what happens.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found some info on another site as to how to use the multi meter to test for the problem:)
Mulder

If you want to check for parasitic drain when the car is off, disconnect one of the battery terminals and connect a meter in series between the disconnected wire and the battery post. The meter should be set for a scale to read milliamps. With the car off, key out, alarm on (if equipped) you should see a drain of up to 100ma or so, give or take. If it's much more than that you'll want to track it down as this can run down a battery if the car sits long enough. Disconnect things one at a time by unplugging them or pulling fuses and watch for the current to drop. When it drops down to normal levels you've found your problem.
And, do NOT attempt to start the car while you have the test meter connected.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I have the problem figured. The soulution was to clean the battery terminal post and the connectors that go on them. They had built up corrosion and were in need of attention. I think what was going on was the battery did not have a good ground connection to the altinator so it wasn't being fully recharged. I guess only time will tell but my battery hasn't been dead sence.

I used baking soda and water to wash the acid off the battery the problem is it got all over the engine bay and left a nasty looking rash type thing.:rolleyes: Should I just repeat the same process over again (baking soda+water) to rid myself of this stuff or is it permenant.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I think I have the problem figured. The solution was to clean the battery terminal post and the connectors that go on them. They had built up corrosion and were in need of attention. I think what was going on was the battery did not have a good ground connection to the alternator so it wasn't being fully recharged. I guess only time will tell but my battery hasn't been dead sence.

I used baking soda and water to wash the acid off the battery the problem is it got all over the engine bay and left a nasty looking rash type thing.:rolleyes: Should I just repeat the same process over again (baking soda+water) to rid myself of this stuff or is it permanent.
I'd was it off as best as possible right away. Especially get it off of the aluminum stuff. Not with more baking soda though - simple green or maybe just some diluted vinegar (simple green should not be left on aluminum, vinegar shouldn't do anything but neutralize the baking soda). Try it on a few inconspicuous spots first.

That was a flux capacitor he was pouring the beer in BTW, you said you had a capacitor....

·
Banned
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advise guys. Cleaning up the mess I made with the baking soda was really a pain in the ass. NOT A GOOD IDEA TO POUR BAKING SODA ON A BATERY!

Bad news the problem still exist. I am pretty sure it has to do with my stereo system. I tried what Mulder said and tried to detect milliamps with the car off. I couldn't detect anything. 0. I couldn't test the stereo system in this fashion because of the big capacitor on the other end of the line. I'll see tomorrow if the capacitor or the stereo is the problem because it is unplugged tonight. I have a nice soldering iron on order and am going to buy a heat gun to redo all my connections I can think of.

Electrical problems suck:unhappy:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts