Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2013 STI...It has Cobb intake, down pipe and custom exhaust...it has Cobb stage 2+ tune on Accessport...I’ve been driving it for a few days and all of the sudden the check engine light came on, the (S) light for the sport started flashing and so did the cruise light...the code on the Accessport was P0023 exhaust cam bank 2...could that have something to do with the fact that it pretty much has straight pipes or is it something more serious? Any input helps. I posted a picture of the Accessport code. I reset the Ecu and it goes away and then after awhile it happens again. I’ve read some things that says it could be an exhaust solenoid and some other things that said it could be an exhaust leak.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,576 Posts
That's a cam timing error. You need to check your oil, and change it if you haven't.

It's also possibly the cam position sensor.

·
Super Moderator
11,576 Posts
I used the old formulation rotella t6. However Subaru oil should work fine.

If I'm not mistaken the cam timing is adjusted hydraulically and an error there could be starvation from low oil, oil that's not the proper viscosity, a dead sensor, or even a incorrectly installed timing belt.

If it's not hydraulically actuated then my oil assumption would be wrong.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,765 Posts
Those are really fun! You'll remove the rad, the alt, set aside the A/C and the P/S, remove the front cover, remove the timing belt, etc.

I'd replace the sensor first unless they did and the code didn't go away. I think if memory serves the cam and crank sensors are the same? If so, swap them and see if you can generate a difference CEL?

If you do swap cam gears do the timing belt and water pump and thermostat and all external belts too, why not?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That doesn’t sound like fun at all haha...another mechanic said vct solenoid...then I’ve heard cam shaft positioning sensor...any recommendations?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also wouldn’t it throw a different code for the sensor? From reading the P0024 code I’ve read that it means the cam position is too advance...could the exhaustnor the tune have something to do with it?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,765 Posts
Does the map match your parts?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts