ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys it has been recently flooding in the area i live, anyway i took my 02wrx (Stock) to the shops. along the road i was driving on it came to a point were i had to cross about 200m and it was about a foot deep. I drove through in first gear remembering to keep up the revs just incase any water got into the exhaust system. i crossed it no worries then went to the shops. as i got back in my car it took a while for the engine to start. it finally did then the check engine light was on and did not go off at all. as i was driving home (a different way) i could smell something burning just a little bit. i dismissed it thinking it was the car in front of me. i finally got home and noticed that the temperature of the engine was just below redline. now the light stays on and i have not driven the car since.

anyone got any ideas of what might be wrong, i dont want to drive it till i get some feed back of what it might be i dont want to hurt it anymore. thanks:sadwave:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Do you have the stock intake on the car? Any other mods?

Is the CEL on solid or flashing? What does the temp gauge do now if you start up the car and just let it idle for a while (15+ mins)?

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
rodders21 said:
the whole car is completely stock the CEL stays on. i will go start it now and see what it does .
Get the code pulled at Autozone ;)

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,452 Posts
Could you have shorted the rad fans? That'd explain the overheating. So would a broken rad (not unheard of when hitting water fast enough, very popular way to DNF a rallye, for example).

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Get the code pulled at Autozone ;)
Yup, as long as the car doesn't make any funny noises when you start it up, drive it very slowly and carefully to the nearest one. Or if you have a mechanic nearby that you know, ask them to pull the code for you.

Could you have shorted the rad fans? That'd explain the overheating. So would a broken rad (not unheard of when hitting water fast enough, very popular way to DNF a rallye, for example).
The first thing sounds like a good possibility. The cracked radiator would probably have resulted in a flashing CEL after a while as the coolant leaked out. Plus the OP said he went into the water pretty slowly so I doubt it would have broken anything. But a motor short sounds reasonable. I'd check the fuses and make sure they're all ok. The fix may be as simple as replacing the fuse for the fan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok problem solved. first of all i took the subaru to the dealership and got them to check the CEL. They said it was a check cam shaft code. they told me it was fine and removed the CEL light. secondly u guys helped me figure out that ther fans were not working (the fuses were ****ed). the car worked fine when i was driving it but as soon as i went through maccas drive through the temperature went through the roof. i changed the fuses for new ones and now the car is back to normal:)

so lesson learnt today
1: Just because the WRX(The best car in the world) is AWD doesnt mean it is a boat, and can drive through 2-3 feet of water.
thanks for ur help guys much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts

·
29,452 Posts
Hey, don't I get a little love too? :sadwave:
Of course you do. Your summary was more concise than mine and more focused, whereas I made a bad wild guess on the cracked radiator.

I'm all for spreading the love around. One day, tenderness will conquer the world.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Of course you do. Your summary was more concise than mine and more focused, whereas I made a bad wild guess on the cracked radiator.

I'm all for spreading the love around. One day, tenderness will conquer the world.
Thank you, now I feel validated and can continue my miserable existence for one more day. :)

Well, after I have a cup of coffee anyway. Anybody else a caffeine addict?

·
29,452 Posts
temperature went through the roof... drive through 2-3 feet of water...
If the temp was high for some time consider changing the motor oil and oil filter, as it tends to absorb more heat than usual when the cooling system has a fault.

If the water level was higher than the top of the gearbox, at least check the gear oil and/or change it for fear of water getting in through the gearbox's vent.

You may not need to worry about any of this at all but I mention it to be thorough (and after the caffeine's kicked in).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts