Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last 2 weeks, I've been using a Joep MBC. I have a K&N filter and removed the silencer. I also use a Blitz Dual TT to monitor my boost. Everything was installed properly.

I reset the ECU after I installed the MBC and got everything running for 4 days with no problem. Running at 16.5psi. I drove it hard and normally during those 4 days. One night, doing 65 on the freeway for 5 minutes, the CEL went off. The next day, I reset the ECU again and back to normal. 5 days later, same thing, on the freeway, not pushing it, 65-70mph and driving that way for around 10 minutes, the CEL went off again.

Any idea? Thank you.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I would go get the code read from somewhere. Or try turning the boost down to 16. If you still get codes try 15.5.

Good Luck

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yup, I would go to the dealer. I am kinda buddies with my service guy, so he will usually have a tech read it on the spot and not charge me. I have heard of people being charged though.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope. WRX in the shop for the bumper. I got rear ended a while back and I wasn't happy with the paint job. So it's in the shop today. I should get it back tomorrow. I think I will turn down my MBC to 15.8 to 16psi and reset my ECU. Unless somebody really thinks I shouldn't. I still want to think the electronic gauge on my TT is not completely accurate and when I was reading 16.5psi, it may have gone up to 17.2 psi or above more than once and made that CEL go off. I checked my peak boost level and it actually went above 17.5psi when the car was cold(I was in a hurry).
My other problem is that I purchased my WRX in Redwood City, CA. And I live in Fresno. So it's not that close and would take me up to 3 hours to get there. There is a Subaru dealership in Fresno. They really got on my nerves when I was about to buy the WRX. And we all know how that VW dealership treated that customer with the whole scandal few months ago. I just won't trust that Subaru dealership in town anymore. :( And "Fresno" and "acting professional" are 2 different concepts around here.......

·
Registered
197 Posts
You have to remember something when using a manual boost controller. A turbocharger is a physical object - and as such it has momentum. If you get on the gas and start spooling it up - its not just going to stop at a given rpm because you back off the gas or because the wastegate opens. It will slow down shortly thereafter, but you may occasionally overboost. Im 99% sure that if you take in the car and have the code checked its going to be for "Boost solenoid out of range." Meaning exactly what you already know - you spiked. Even with the electronic boost controller i get spikes - and it knows how much im on the throttle and what the engine rpm is. So even thought its programmed to compensate for the turbo's momentum by changing solenoid duty cycle - it still sometimes lets the boost go a little over where its set. I would recomend turning down the boost and seeing what happens - if the occurence is eliminated - you should be ok.

Joe

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What a shame!!!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: .................................

All right guys..... in the TV show "Ticrab is an idiot", episode 37, Ticrab finally found out why the CEL went off.

When I installed my Blitz Dual TT, I had to tap in a line by the Fuel Pressure Regulator(there is a picture somewhere on that site...). Well, basically I did a good job at doing a clean installation, buying an extra piece of hose, installed the little T and everything. But..., there is a hose(fat black "shielded" hose that goes under in a tight spot. That hose goes to a blue T. The mechanic at the Subaru dealership read the code and found that the "canister was responsible" for the light to be on. He told me that because that hose was unplugged, the fumes were not sent back to the engine. I'm not 100% sure I'm explaining this right. But he told me it's like having the fuel cap not tight enough and the same code will appear and make the CEL go off.
So with my MBC still in, they were real nice and took the time to show me what's going on and didn't charge me at all. Of course I will have to plug that thing back on myself.
There are many hoses in that car. Many of them are really hard to come undone. Well, this one is the opposite. And I accidentally unplugged it. Plus, that blue T, is hidden under the FPR and I didn't see it at all. So if you're like me, like to mess around, always think about double checking.

Anyways, I'm sure most of you now think I'm the type of person who should stay away from the engine compartment and that I'm dangerous. Just wanted to share with all of you my little idiotic experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts