Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post to this site so forgive me if I'm in the wrong place... just picked up a 2017 WRX Limited last week, absolutely love it. First Subaru for me and first in the family, got it for commuting 1.5+ hours to school :sleep:

So my question is when the inevitable exhaust modifications come... I plan to eventually delete the catalytic converter but I don't want the check engine light. is there any existing mod to rid my dash of that light? Obviously I don't wanna f* my car up and I don't want any "tape over the light" kind of fixes. I'm a mechanic but my thing for a long time has been pre smoggers and motorcycles so modding this crazy new car turbo stuff is new to me, but nothing I can't handle. Any help appreciated, happy Friday...

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
You'll be required to get a tune after that exhaust change, some tuners disable the code. Others won't due to local regulations and legal headaches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
I would second guess that. From my understanding the rear O2 on the newer ECUs deals with fuel trims as well as the front O2. I would verify that the fa20f does not do that before I put an anti fouler on it.

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
Disable the P0420 code on the ECU from being triggered, which is generally what gets thrown when you replace the factory catalysts with a catless / high-flow cat version. Something like Cobb AP maps do this for you, so when you flash the map, you're all set.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If the rear O2 does in face affect fuel trims, then it's not a good solution. But what I linked to is not an anti-fouler. It's literally a miniature catalytic converter that functions exactly like a full size one.

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts
If the rear O2 does in face affect fuel trims, then it's not a good solution. But what I linked to is not an anti-fouler. It's literally a miniature catalytic converter that functions exactly like a full size one.
This is the text from the site

Universal O2 Spacers with Catalytic Converters scrub the exhaust and lengthen the distance between the O2 sensor(s) and the exhaust flow to reduce the chance of a CEL.
The primary operation of that is moving the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow. It works just like a standard anti foul bung.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Moving the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow is effective, but the Fabspeed parts are also mini catalytic converters. I've seen them clear up CEL issues where a O2 spacer or anti-fouler wouldn't do the trick.

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Moving the O2 sensor out of the exhaust flow is effective, but the Fabspeed parts are also mini catalytic converters. I've seen them clear up CEL issues where a O2 spacer or anti-fouler wouldn't do the trick.

I would be more concerned about the fact that the engine will incur damage and eventually fail without proper tuning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts