Subaru WRX Forum banner

Check Engine Light (CEL)

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bismark 
#1 ·
First Check engine light for me. Really disappointing. Drove 100 miles on a new tank of the best stuff from Exxon. Parked went to he beach. Came back started up my 2002 wrx sedan and the check engine light was on.

Dealer checked it out today and said that it was a code that the 1st and 3rd cylinders were missfiring and that i have to let it warm up for 30 seconds and cool down for 30 seconds. Which I do!! He claimed the 3rd cylinder is right near the turbo so it gets hotter than the rest. Reset the code and sent me on my way.

I hate this it seems like they are just letting it go till my warrantee is up then they can charge me.

Only 13000 miles on the car.

He claimed they have seen this quite a bit recently. ANYone hear of this??? Should we lobby for a recall?

Greg

#2 ·
i wanna recall

ive been getting the mis fire light for 2 months now. they blam it on my bov the first time. so i went back to stock everything and it still happining. im so pissed i have to drive like a grand ma so i dont feel like im doin damage. plus if it mis fires at high speeds like 70 it pulls so much timeing cause of this it slows till it stalls . i wait 20 seconds and it starts right up and drives fine i dont get it:confused: :jester: has any one else had abs problems too. some times my brake peddle goes all the way to the floor and the brakes dont work. car shakes like its in a seizure and it doesnt slow when i take it to dealer they sey they dont know what im talkin about. suby service department suxxxxx seems like ive always got to go back. my cel stays on :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#5 ·
I get the FLASHING CEL for MisFire Detection. Although I have a Stage 0 UniChip from Vishnu and I never got one until I put the chip in.

I called Shiv and he told me it was common for UniChip'd cars because the timing is being retarded 8+deg. near redline, that the stock ECU starts thinking something is wrong.

From what Shiv says...this symptom is NOT detonation, is NOT dangerous to the engine, and does NOT cause a loss in performance.

I still feel a little iffy about it...

-Jason-

#6 ·
Thanks to all who replied. I am just waiting now till I see it again then I will take it to another dealer and get the ECU remapped.

Its really disheartening because i thought this car would last forever:( and now i saw a CEL at 13000

all i can do now is wait

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.