Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 WRX and i had the code P0011=Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced pop up. Three months ago i had the camshaft sprocket replaced. Dealer thinks that there might be a clog in the engine oil. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
That could be.

What kind of oil change intervals are you using and what oil? Are you keeping up with the oil level regularly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could be.

What kind of oil change intervals are you using and what oil? Are you keeping up with the oil level regularly?

I bought the car about 9 months ago at a used car dealer so it’s only gone through one oil change with me so don’t know what a previous owner has done.

·
Super Moderator
10,913 Posts
I would consider after getting this fixed sticking with factory oil and shorter 3k mile oil changes and having frequent used oil analysis done to see if there is a problem.

The oil should not be breaking down enough to plug passages in 6 or so thousand miles unless it's frequently run low, over heated, or contaminated.

If it is plugging passage ways that control valve timing then there is the possibility it's plugged or blocked more and you could potentially smoke a bearing. I would absolutely get this addressed asap if it is indeed the oil.

There is also the off chance of a faulty cam position sensor or something. I vaguely recall seeing something about a failing one causing a similar issue. That is what I would attack first. It's likely cheaper than other possibilities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts