ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Below is a list of the things I have done to my car in order. The results and cost are also included. This may be helpful to those of you modding on a small budget.

1.) K&N panel filter
cost:$40.00
result:The performance gain was undectable. The engine and intake sound did however increase slightly. In my last vehicle the K&N imporved gas mileage by 1-2 mpg.

2.) Removed Intake Silencer
cost:$0.00
result:Turbo spool and blow off valve are much louder. The power felt exactly the same. Later I modified the silencer and fabricated an elbow out of it. I cut the silencer near the top and capped it with piece of the silencer cut off with the Subaru part number. It looked pretty good and professional. I was very disappointed after I put the elbow in. The cool turbo spool sound was gone, and my car had seemed to lose power. The turbo did not come in as strongly at full boost.....maybe my imagination.

3.) Crank Pulley (underdriven)
cost:$40.00 for pulley, $20.00 for new belts
result:Right after I installed the pulley was the first time I had ever hit the rev limiter. The rpm's were coming up a little quicker than stock. Also the revs dropped quicker which made me relearn driving the car a little. Overall the mod did not produce big results.

4.) MBC
cost:$15.00 (ebay) + $3.00 for 3/16" hose and clamps
result:This is a mod that really wakes up the car! Before the MBC install, my biggest complaint was not reaching full boost in 1st and 2nd gear. Boost would also fall off quickly approaching 6k rpm in 1st and 2nd. Frustrating. I was hoping the MBC would solve this issue. It did to a TEE. When launching or driving normally the turbo does not bog down like it did stock. Boost in 1st and 2nd is just shy of the .1 mark on the turbo guage and holds to redline. In 3rd, 4th, and 5th the turbo guage is reading at 1.1. The car pulls harder from every RPM now. No boost spikes, no issues to report.

***Next on the list is IC hoses and gutting the up pipe. Results when complete.

·
Registered
144 Posts
you havent had any problems with the MBC on ur 04?..i wanted one but a few people told me not to get it on 04 models b/c it is bad for the car. i was planning on getting the joep MBC but now im scared, but with what you are saying makes me want to get one again...grrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stcktnkid said:
you havent had any problems with the MBC on ur 04?..i wanted one but a few people told me not to get it on 04 models b/c it is bad for the car. i was planning on getting the joep MBC but now im scared, but with what you are saying makes me want to get one again...grrrrrrrrr

Nope, zero problems. The car sounds and drives exactly the same except for the power difference. It is very noticable. I was also very afraid to do the modification. I just couldn't stand the boost drop in 1st and 2nd. Remember to set your boost in 4th to prevent over boosting. As long as you are not over boosting your car, there shouldn't be a problem. The MBC can also be removed in a few minutes.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
one thing to watch out for is partial throttle full boost. I'm sure you guys did some searches so i won't say much, but i've been told on completely stock cars with all cats, dont go more than 15 psi boost unless you want that uppipe cat to break up in your turbo.

I had one, took it out....in the end, its not worth blowing a turbo.

just my .02

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bluerex47 said:
one thing to watch out for is partial throttle full boost. I'm sure you guys did some searches so i won't say much, but i've been told on completely stock cars with all cats, dont go more than 15 psi boost unless you want that uppipe cat to break up in your turbo.

I had one, took it out....in the end, its not worth blowing a turbo.

just my .02

Yeah, I heard the same thing. The up pipe is going to be gutted very soon.

·
Registered
598 Posts
in the age of technology i prefer real enginemangement and not hack tuning. MBCs are good for older turbo cars, but for the newer generation of cars do it right.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
stcktnkid said:
Had a JoeP on my 04 and it worked great for over 5k miles. After a little while it becomes second nature to watch the FBPT problem. Never had a problem at all. Took it off though for autocross driving because there are too many times that you have to give it partial throttle and I didn't want exhaust temperatures reaching a dangerous level.

·
Registered
144 Posts
yeah i think i might hold off till i do a few other mods

·
Registered
436 Posts
in the age of technology i prefer real enginemangement and not hack tuning. MBCs are good for older turbo cars, but for the newer generation of cars do it right.
This thread is about "cheap" mods, engine management isn't cheap and mbc perform just as well...........13.36 with a mbc, i think they work just as well on new cars as they do on the older gen cars.

By the way, who's to say which way is "right"

steve

·
Registered
598 Posts
wrxspins4 said:
This thread is about "cheap" mods, engine management isn't cheap and mbc perform just as well...........13.36 with a mbc, i think they work just as well on new cars as they do on the older gen cars.

By the way, who's to say which way is "right"

steve
the right way is the safe/reliable way. MBCs on '04s can cause your engine to go boom if your not careful. personally why cheap out on something that may damage your car, it's not like you bought this car cheap.

·
Registered
436 Posts
True, safe and reliable is the best way but i've had a mbc on my car for 30k miles without a single problem.......safe and reliable but then again it's an 02. So maybe the mbc isn't the best bet for an 04 but put one on an 02 and you have safe reliable power.

steve

·
Registered
656 Posts
2004SilverWRX said:
3.) Crank Pulley (underdriven)
cost:$40.00 for pulley, $20.00 for new belts
result:Right after I installed the pulley was the first time I had ever hit the rev limiter. The rpm's were coming up a little quicker than stock. Also the revs dropped quicker which made me relearn driving the car a little. Overall the mod did not produce big results.
hitting the rev limiter and having to relearn throttle blipping after fitting doesn't indicate to you some big results?

if the rpms increase faster, your car is accelerating faster--PERIOD.

:confsued:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Cheap mods....their results

ride5000 said:
hitting the rev limiter and having to relearn throttle blipping after fitting doesn't indicate to you some big results?

if the rpms increase faster, your car is accelerating faster--PERIOD.

:confsued:
I should have clarified. The pull felt about the same, but the rpm's tached up quicker. I only said that to inform potential buyers of a lightened crank pulley. Most people are looking for bottom line results.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Why is a MBC okay on Bugeye and not 04's? Same giddy up isnt it?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
skyjock41 said:
That's what I thought too???? I thought the only changes were appearance. I could be worng on this....... I think the 02's and 03's had a cover over the factory boost solenoid, while the 04 does not.

·
Registered
656 Posts
skyjock41 said:
the 04 ecu has a very slow transition from closed loop ("stoichiometric") fueling to open loop ("enriched") fueling. essentially, when you go WOT, it stays in closed loop for a few seconds before going open.

coupled with the propensity of the MBC-equipped car to reach full boost levels at partial throttle, this slow transition makes it much more likely to experience detonation while using an MBC on an '04 or later car.

hth
ken

·
Registered
656 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cheap mods....their results

2004SilverWRX said:
I should have clarified. The pull felt about the same, but the rpm's tached up quicker. I only said that to inform potential buyers of a lightened crank pulley. Most people are looking for bottom line results.
so you're saying you bounced off the rev limiter much more easily while you were hitting the throttle while out of gear?

·
Registered
598 Posts
ride5000 said:
the 04 ecu has a very slow transition from closed loop ("stoichiometric") fueling to open loop ("enriched") fueling. essentially, when you go WOT, it stays in closed loop for a few seconds before going open.

coupled with the propensity of the MBC-equipped car to reach full boost levels at partial throttle, this slow transition makes it much more likely to experience detonation while using an MBC on an '04 or later car.

hth
ken
exactly, a little research would have found this info too by using the search button. that's how i found out. this is why smart people research there mods first and don't just slap stuff on cause it worked on one car so it must be fine for mine type reasoning.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts