ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey anyone got any "nice/decent" sounding home theaters. Maybe something like the Home theater in a box deals. I'm looking at spending 500-900$ on some speakers to go with my 47" Hdtv when i get home from iraq. Just curious on any one elses luck with speakers/recievers!?

·
Registered
499 Posts
If you are willing to spend $900, spend the extra $100 and go for the Bose Accoustimass 10. I've had mine for a while now and love it. The only difference (may be wrong) between the 10 and the 15 is the 15 has a 3rd bass driver. Trust me two drivers are enough. The bass level is turned all the way down on mine. Accoustimass 16 uses a 3-driver sub piece and adds a 6th dual-cube setup for a 6.1 system. That one goes for roughly $1500

A 100x5 watt receiver will push those Boss dual-cube speakers just fine. I am actually using a 3-year old JVC unit. It was the top of the JVC line at the time. Works great.

-- Rich

·
Registered
72 Posts
Don't do the Bose man. They don't have a real subwoofer (they only extend down to about 180 hz). Look at some of the Canadian manufacturers (PSB, Energy, Paradigm, etc.) They offer great packages with real low end at great prices. I own the Energy Take 5 setup, which has evolved since I bought it, and it sounds really good. It has a 10 inch sub and 5 small speakers in a piano black finish. They cost me all of $550 when I bought them and will put any modern Bose system to shame. for the money you're thinking about spending you should look into these http://www.energyloudspeakers.com/encore/encore_speakers_system.html You should be able to get them for around $700. Just my $.02

Matt

·
Registered
499 Posts
gambit688 said:
They don't have a real subwoofer (they only extend down to about 180 hz)

I agree that the bass drivers are small. Something like 5" in diameter. But I disagree that the bass module will not extend lower than 180hz. At least that is my opinion. Watching 'Red October' or 'LOTR' for instance produces a low bass response that is inaudible but will shake the heck out of the floor. That has to be lower than 180hz. It probably has something to do with those wacky curved baffles in that 60-lb bass module of theirs.

-- Rich

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry, my bad but they do only extend down to 50\60 (thought I remembered reading that the numbers were higher than that) which is still not a true subwoofer. For really good low end the goal is somewhere around 20-25 hz (more subsonic than "musical"). 20 hz accurately is hard for most subs but 25 is do-able for a lot of decent subs. What most of us think of as "bass" tends to be in that 50-60 hz zone (Fosgate's bread and butter is selling components optimized for that freq. range (their punch bass controls specifically "push" the levels up in the 40-60hz range). It sounds fairly impressive but you are still missing the real low-end stuff) most soundtracks to big blockbuster movies extends well below that 50-60hz range. They also don't specify what the roll-off is in their literature so the 50 hz rating may be at a really low level (that's the problem with ported designs is that they only respond well in their tuned freq. range). I've also heard on a number of home theater boards that I frequent that they have a "hole" in the sound because the bass module and the direct-reflecting units don't crossover real well. I'll admit that they can sound pretty impressive, both in store and in-house, but for the price they ask there is a lot of stuff available that just kills Bose equipment.

Matt

·
Registered
642 Posts
matching a good rcvr/spkr setup with ur hdtv depends more on ur room acoustics than anything else. a big tv in a small room wont need big sound. if ur in a big room and go with a home theater in a box setup, most likely you will be dissapointed.

here are a coupla comparos to check out:

if i were u ... i'd spend my 1k on a good rcvr that'll last you for years to come. and today, all 1k rcvrs have dd, dts, 5.1/7.1, multi-room, coax/opt digital outs, tons of in/outs that'll allow for you to grow. Then save for a good spkr system. i've had very good luck with my denon/paradigm setup.

·
The Legendary Bad Ass (aka; Buzzz)
5,400 Posts
Polk has a few nice systems around those numbers. Not at the stores for those numbers, but guys on EBAY that are selling new in box units. The 7200 series and 7500 series have some good quality sound. Or purchase matched sets in pieces. I just priced a few out at under 800. Go to Polks website and it has ideas for buying in pieces to assemble matched sets.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I work at Bose, and I will agree that the Acoustimass 10 is a very good system that won't break the bank. We're offering a special right now that will allow you to get all of the Acoustimass 10 speakers, the subwoofer, Onkyo surround receiver, and Onkyo progressive scan DVD player for $1200. Not sure if it applies to all the stores, but at King of Prussia mall, that's what we got for a special.

If you really wanna spend the extra cash, I might suggest the Lifestyle systems, but judging from your post, I doubt you'd want to fork over $2000+ for a system...so definitely highly recommend the Acoustimass 10.

Btw, no interest financing for 12 months at Bose :)

Sorry, all that sales training is getting to my head. :wiggles:

slim...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys lots of opinions and info. I've got sometime before im home back in the Usa. So i'll continue researching based on some of the info here! Appreciate it all!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I admit I am a cheap scate that likes good stuff. seen some nice stuff on ebay from time to time.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Might be more than you are looking at but when i get some money im gonna get some stuff from outlaw audio. Compares in quality to stuff twice its price. check them out www.outlawaudio.com

1 - 20 of 21 Posts