ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

I was sitting around today, when I decided to go out and look at my car and see if it could use any more goodies. I popped the hood and I was contemplating what I should get for it. My eyes drifted slowly across the engine bay until it came to rest near my A/C piping. I thought to myself.. "How plain...I could really use some engine dress-up right about here, AND improve the handling of my car!" Yes folks, it was time for a Strut Brace!

Strut braces are important handling modifications that are most of the time overlooked by enthusiasts because they believe they do not do a whole lot.

Wrong.

The truth is that every bit of chassis rigidity helps. Whether you autocross, drive on track days, or just get the groceries in the wagon...it won't help to have better cornering abilities thanks to a stiffer chassis.

Is this modification good for me?

Do you need to avoid shopping carts in parking lots quickly, without spilling your decaf Soy chai tea from Starbucks all over yourself?

Do you need to get around those cones faster at the Auto-X?

Do you need a way to convince your girl that its okay to get road head in your car and she shouldn't worry about "body roll" because you....*stiffened* your chassis?

If you answered yes to any of the above scenarios, then this modification is for you!

Will this fit my car?

This is compatiable for the 2002-2005 Subaru WRX(sedan and wagon)/STi(sedan)

Brief Introduction

Overall, the prep work, building, and installation took me approximately 25 minutes. This includes a 5 minute break to sip at a beer because the work was pretty hard, and it was hot outside today.

Materials List

Anyone will tell you that doing a job is a lot easier if you know beforehand what materials you will be using. Today, we will be using Reynolds Wrap Quality Aluminum Foil. Comes in a blue and peptobismol pink box, 250sq ft. The other material you will need is a coat hanger. Metal of course. Plastic won't do. We're making a strut bar here, not a 3rd grade diorama.

First stage: Prep work

The prep work for this project is not entirely difficult. I removed 2 sheets of Aluminum foil and rolled them up into 2 tubes, like so.

[Note: Image detail shown for approximate width of Aluminum foil.]

Next, make 2 more rolls of Aluminum foil approximately 2 inches shorter than the first two rolls. (That red text says "Approx 2 inches" but resizing made that difficult to read)

Now, take your hanger and remove the hanger from the annoying cardboard bottom part, like so:

Afterwards, straighten out the hanger as best as you can. Now, we're not building a bridge here so it doesn't have to be perfect, but try to make it look presentable. After all, people are going to be looking at this on your car. More importantly, a poor straightening job will lead to poor handling performance from your new modification. Mine looks like this after approximately 2 minutes of straightening.

Second Stage: Installation

Alright, now that we're ready, gather the two larger strips of Aluminum foil and wrap them around your front strut tops as shown in the picture. Take some time to admire your work, like I did.

Now, attach the two smaller bands of Aluminum foil to the rings on the strut tops. They should be wrapped against the first ring to ensure a snug fit.

Reference the shot of the other side. Notice how the Aluminum foil doesn't hang down at all. You want to make sure it is upright and doesn't cause any hang. A hang here will make it difficult to attach the brace across the engine bay.

Line up the brace with the Aluminum foil to make sure its going to work. Like a good carpenter says: Measure twice, cut once. In our case, it will be "Line up twice, attach once."

When you get everything lined up into place, twist the Aluminum foil slightly to attach the hanger to the foil. When its all said and done, you should have something that looks like this:

You're Finished!!!
Finally, you've come a long way but you've completed a very important task of improving your car's handling. Take it out for a test spin to see how everything holds up (not recommended). You'll be able to feel the benefits of improved chassis rigidity at a very low cost. Give yourself a pat on the back, you deserve it.

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Tips and Tricks

Two important characteristics about your new Font Strut bar brace:

And...it's REMOVABLE for vehicle inspection or taking it in for service at the dealer!

·
Registered
13,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys, I didn't expect to see this much enjoyment!
:)

I'll probably end up doing a series of these, by request, of course

·
Registered
677 Posts
Sweet!!!!

I'm gonna make a rear sway bar for my wagon out of something . . . would a broom handle work?

I'm gonna ditch the APS exhaust and run some nice Mountain dew cans that are duct taped together.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
hahahahah i didnt think you were going to do that but thats too funny!!!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

fckin sweet dude, oh man my sides hurt. i needed that, thanks. next up...aluminum foil wheels?

·
Official ClubWRX arms dealer
3,814 Posts
I'm sorry but I have to call BS on this one. I don't care how good you say it works. STRUT TOWER BRACES DON'T DO SH!T. I wouldn't even buy it for 50 bucks...

:p

1 - 20 of 39 Posts