ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanted to get everyones opinion on this. front tire has a bulge on sidewall and was wondering about changing just it. the set that is on the car has 6/32 left and i have 2 spare tires, that has 6/32 also. my question is even though the depth is the same the tread pattern is different will this effect anything or not?

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You are NOT supposed to use two different thread patterns

·
Registered
30 Posts
I wouldn't do this either but are there Subaru specific reasons for this? I understand on typical 2 wheel drive cars it is not recommended either because of the difference in grip levels and the car does not lose grip evenly with this type of setup.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,475 Posts
I wouldn't do this either but are there Subaru specific reasons for this?
The car has three differentials and each expects to see a specific ratio across either of its outputs when the car is traveling straight -- that is, most of the time. So the real issue is diameter. I suspect different treads means of course different models, and potentially different diameter, generating the warning. Grip levels in and of themselves could be an issue as well, at the limit of adhesion rather than when all is well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
couple options, either 4 new tires or shaving down two new tires to the desired depth.

different tread/depth = no bueno

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the tires that are on it now are nexen n3000 225/45/17 at a depth of 6/32. i would be putting 2 hankooks k106 with the same tread pattern on the front with a depth of 6/32. so the two on the front would match each other in tread pattern and match the two in the back in depth. this is the only option untill i can buy four new ones, or drive it with the bulge in the sidwall. thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
DONT DO IT. Tires are much cheaper than differentials

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
If you have 2 different tires, they'll wear at different rates, and maybe right now the radius is close enough, but it may not be after they start to wear.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
couple options, either 4 new tires or shaving down two new tires to the desired depth.

Honestly, I wouldn't even shave to correct the depths. That is because a broken in, heat cycled tire is going to wear much slower than a brand new tire. So if you shave one, even though it might be the correct depth initially, within a few thousand miles that tire well have worn drastically faster than the others that had already been heat cycled... that is, unless you plan on reshaving all the tires every thousand miles to keep them in check due to the difference in wear rates.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Shaving the tires isn't an option when the tires are different brand or model.
All four tires must be the same brand, model, size, and tread depth.
sorry I should have specified, I meant to have the two new tires of the same brand shaved. I realize not the best choice but maybe he can't afford 4 new tires, it might be his best bet.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Like I said, new tires are going to wear drastically faster than heat cycled ones, so shaving isn't a good option.. unless you don't mind replacing your center diff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts