Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a header and comes with uppipe. is it worth changing the stock sti up pipe or just leave it in there.

thanks guys

" bought it from godspeed great guy to get info from to bad i didnt think of this question before lol"

·
Registered
841 Posts
well, the sti comes with a catless uppipe, so u don't have a cat, but as far as bends or diameter of the pipe goes, it may be worth it, hell if it comes with a flex joint, i would say go for it, if there is no flex joint, then don't...:thumbup:

·
Registered
93 Posts
You're already in that area when you're changing out the header so you might as well change the up pipe. Trust me, the last thing you want is to regret not putting the new up pipe on then having to go back down under your car and changing it out.

If you don't mind me asking, what header did you get?

There are some headers that come with corresponding up pipes and its best to use the provided up pipe. I know with the GTSpec Gen. II headers, you HAVE to use the provided up pipe because they utilize a 3-bolt flange design at the header collector, where it connects to the up pipe.

-STiLL

·
Registered
841 Posts
yeah, there is no cat in the uppipe in the first place...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I saw the STi uppipe not long ago. It was awful! The welds were some of the worst I've ener seen and the fit-up to the flanges was terrible. I can only imagine how badly the flow is affected.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How much gain will you get from the header mod? Seems like not much... Also are your headers matched length or offset? If you get the headers that arent offset, wont you lose the awesome boxer sound and move to honda buzz saw land?

Are you planning on porting your turbo? The more flow you add to your exhaust system, the more overboost becomes prevalant.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i talked to dan from godspeed. the headers and upipe make a noticable increase and you do not lose the boxer rumble.

also im keeping stock axle back but a shop charged me 100 bucks to do 3 inch from the downpipe to the axle back and dan also said as long as i keep stock axle back i will be fine which i am doing.

for 3 inch pipe from downpipe to stock axle back and only 100 bucks im happy with that. will flow just fine

·
Registered
19 Posts
If it does not flow enough to cause the overboost problem is it really flowing much more than stock?

Just curious, since it seems all the really high flowing stuff is causing the overboost issue.

Im just guessing; your setup sounds cool. How much is the header?

·
Banned
968 Posts
StoplightWarrior said:
hey, wondering how much hp gain can be expected from the header/uppipe install, also how much $$
Mostly torque gains. But probably like 10 whp. As far as the $$, it's mainly what header you get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts