Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at buying used 4 piston front prodrive calipers and pads. I want to replace my OEM front calipers. I wanna do it for stopping power and it seems to be a good price. Anyone have any experience with these calipers?

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Your factory brakes should be able to lock up the tires easily. Do you want more stopping power, or a harder pedal feel and better fade resistance?

Do you have a link to this kit?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the time being I think I’m just gonna bleed my brake fluid. I had some serious brake fade coming down a hill near my house. I was driving the car very hard and near the bottom of the hill I lost my pedal completely. I would like a brake I can heat up more and I would love a nicer look to compliment the car. Not trying to break the bank though. Im trying to get the link to work it’s for sale on Facebook for 1k

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
Not trying to break the bank is entirely the opposite direction of a big brake kit.

Get better pads and rotors. Use dot 4 or the dot 5 compatible fluid. I believe it’s 5.1.

·
Master Baiter
12,653 Posts
If you're experiencing brake fade on the street, either there is a mechanical issue you need to address or you need to re-evaluate your driving style. In over fifteen years of driving, I've never done it. That said...

The best bang/buck upgrade you'll experience for better braking performance is tire compound, as that's the only part of the vehicle that touches the tarmac. You can lock up your brakes with the cheapest of calipers/pads/rotors, and the difference in stopping distance is the friction of your tires.

Prodrive calipers are fantastic, but you need to be aware of the increased maintenance costs of said equipment. It may also require different wheels to fit the hardware.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
Your factory brakes should be able to lock up the tires easily. Do you want more stopping power, or a harder pedal feel and better fade resistance?

The best bang/buck upgrade you'll experience for better braking performance is tire compound, as that's the only part of the vehicle that touches the tarmac. You can lock up your brakes with the cheapest of calipers/pads/rotors, and the difference in stopping distance is the friction of your tires.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet thanks. I’m running much wider tires now I believe they are 215/70r17s all the way around. The tires are a pirelli nero zero and I cannot lock those up to save my life. I’m going to try new pads and fresh fluid. I’ll have to check the size

1 - 10 of 10 Posts