Registered
297 Posts
That flushing sound is the warranty.

Reactions: smorris

·
2,574 Posts
That flushing sound is the warranty.
::snicker::

Oh, wait! I had a whole pile of parts, some of which voided parts of my warranty, before my car even arrived...

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I have a lifetime warranty on the engine/trans. I was told by the sales manager that some modification is expected. However in the service manual there’s a disclaimer. I’m not looking for a 600+ HP track car but I want an air intake and full exhaus with a tune. Bigger top mount intercooler and a radiator. I baby my cars. I still have an 06 Chrysler 300 with 190k miles. This car looks and runs new. Even modded up with increased HP I’d still baby the car. I’ve been warned/advised to not mod the car. I guess my question is how much is this really going to make the car worse? Essentially I’m making the car better, no?
Being practical... wait X amount of time before modding 🤷🏻‍♂️ I mean I try to be as pragmatic as possible. If something was inherently wrong with the car, I’d see it in say 15,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
They lied to your face. There is zero modification accepted. You assume all risk and that risk is worth a lot of money.

So ask yourself if 30 extra hp is worth 10+k out of pocket when it fails.

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
For the exhaust and rust stuff yes. Turbo back write any hope of a warranty claim off. Intake? Also a no go. Headers? Nope.

·
Registered
297 Posts
In this day and time, any modifications may leave you open to warranty claim denials. I have seen GM deny an engine claim over an oil catch-can. While there are some that want to point out that Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may offer protections, they will fail to point out that this involves a very lengthy legal battle, in all likelihood.

I am consistent, if you want a faster car, buy one. I bought a 2015 WRX. It was a serviceable 4 door with some pop. I had wanted one since I saw one at the NOLA Motorshow in 1994 or 1995. It worked great on The Tail of the Dragon in 2015. It wasn't really fast. It wasn't as fast as the 335i convertible or the XJ with the 5 litre V8 (previous / current at the time). I had the itch. GM built the 6th Gen Camaro. Out of the box, the Camaro SS beat a BMW M4 in a Motor Trend Head to Head competition. A few folks here made the jump and I followed as soon as I could find one that matched what I wanted (2016 Camaro 2SS - 6M). Later in 2017 I met Al Oppenheiser at CamaroFest.

al oppenheiser - Bing video

He had a large portion of the entire Camaro team with him. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE were on display. He picked my pocket, right then and there. He made out the check and signed my name to it just as assuredly as if he were Gandalf. That's how I ended up with the ZL1. We are Facebook friends to this day (he may block me if he reads this ;)).

Each time, I wanted a faster car. Each time, I bought one. I track my cars. I drive my cars. I want a car that has a warranty for those uses.

Reactions: Bluto Blumpkin

·
Æternum
20,436 Posts
I don't seek to change your mind, but I urge you to forge a relationship with a good tuner than can work with your goals to suggest parts etc.

Reactions: Bluto Blumpkin

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s weird about the rust stuff. I mean... I’ve never even heard of rusted parts being covered warranty.
I don't seek to change your mind, but I urge you to forge a relationship with a good tuner than can work with your goals to suggest parts etc.
Apparently I have one of the best tuners on the planet (as far as I know) in my backyard.
(ECS Performance). While I’m still undecided I will he talking to someone like this before I move forward. 💪🏼

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In this day and time, any modifications may leave you open to warranty claim denials. I have seen GM deny an engine claim over an oil catch-can. While there are some that want to point out that Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act may offer protections, they will fail to point out that this involves a very lengthy legal battle, in all likelihood.

I am consistent, if you want a faster car, buy one. I bought a 2015 WRX. It was a serviceable 4 door with some pop. I had wanted one since I saw one at the NOLA Motorshow in 1994 or 1995. It worked great on The Tail of the Dragon in 2015. It wasn't really fast. It wasn't as fast as the 335i convertible or the XJ with the 5 litre V8 (previous / current at the time). I had the itch. GM built the 6th Gen Camaro. Out of the box, the Camaro SS beat a BMW M4 in a Motor Trend Head to Head competition. A few folks here made the jump and I followed as soon as I could find one that matched what I wanted (2016 Camaro 2SS - 6M). Later in 2017 I met Al Oppenheiser at CamaroFest.

al oppenheiser - Bing video

He had a large portion of the entire Camaro team with him. The ZL1 and ZL1 1LE were on display. He picked my pocket, right then and there. He made out the check and signed my name to it just as assuredly as if he were Gandalf. That's how I ended up with the ZL1. We are Facebook friends to this day (he may block me if he reads this ;)).

Each time, I wanted a faster car. Each time, I bought one. I track my cars. I drive my cars. I want a car that has a warranty for those uses.
Basically I’ve wanted this car for about ten years. It will be a daily driver. My mind is already at the just mod it up stage but I’m also torn with the practicality of sitting on expensive repairs. Maybe the move for me is to mod parts as they need replacing, which would void a warranty from that repair on. As I’ve waxed it more than driven it 😂, I appreciate everyone’s advice. It’s better to talk to dudes than my wife. “You want to spend $6000 to void your warranty???”
She makes a good point, but could care less about guy stuff...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Basically I’ve wanted this car for about ten years. It will be a daily driver. My mind is already at the just mod it up stage but I’m also torn with the practicality of sitting on expensive repairs. Maybe the move for me is to mod parts as they need replacing, which would void a warranty from that repair on. As I’ve waxed it more than driven it 😂, I appreciate everyone’s advice. It’s better to talk to dudes than my wife. “You want to spend $6000 to void your warranty???”
She makes a good point, but could care less about guy stuff...
The other point you have made is that this is to be your daily driver. I think you may have some access to loaner cars while your daily driver is being repaired under warranty. That would likely disappear with your modifications. I am unsure if making or not making modifications to a car puts your man card at risk. I think I lost mine in the mid-70s when I passed on getting some hulking, tire melting, muscle car for a ballerina dancer of a 4 cylinder Lotus Europa.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Damn he pulled the ego card out on me....😂. I think it would be fun. The more I talk and hear about it though, definitely not the right thing to do.

At least please tell me that RIMS and my new horns don’t affect the warranty!!!

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone following this, I contacted Subaru directly. This was their response. I’m reading the section of the book tomorrow.
20233C00-1B00-408B-B259-70B4A034348D.jpeg

·
Premium Member
10,946 Posts
Ok, while you are talking yourself into modifying. Just remember. Subaru is notorious for denying warranty. If jbravo was still around you could be entertained for days about them trying to deny warranty on a car the dealership blew up hot rodding around

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, while you are talking yourself into modifying. Just remember. Subaru is notorious for denying warranty. If jbravo was still around you could be entertained for days about them trying to deny warranty on a car the dealership blew up hot rodding around
I’ve heard several times in my search for information that cat-back exhaust doesn’t void warranty. Not trying to talk myself into anything just exploring information. Was down at Subimods shop yesterday. The manager in there said that there’s a Subaru dealer down the street that sells Cobb tuners at the dealership. 😂 Finding solid information so far has been like trying to find which 90’s club girl gave me herpes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Something to keep in mind is that Subaru authorizes the warranty repairs, not the dealer. A dealer may be mod friendly but that dealer does not hold the final authorization.

Engine starts since last CPU reflash are a common pointer where warranty claims may run into issues.

Hey, if you have an extra $10,000 for non-covered warranty work, then go for it. Of course, this begs the question of why would you buy the WRX if you had additional funds to buy a higher performance vehicle from jump street?

·
Banned
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's a beautiful color😳
I had wanted it Murdered but my salesman had told me (and shown me on his dealer inventory when I got there) that I had the last version (6speed w/performance pkg) on the east coast and it’d take me about two months to order one. He said color was Ice blue Pearl and I thought it would be that baby blueish color. I’m glad I went to look because when I saw the color I loved it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts