Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEL - No codes- "no powertrain DTS or freeze frame data is presently stored"

Hello,

I have been getting a engine light randomly either after gas fill ups or random. When I set up the scanner it indicates that "no powertrain DTS or freeze frame data is presently stored" I can't pull any codes due to no "ABS IS SUPPORTED" when I press the DTC on the scanner(to pull the codes?).

Tried 2 different INNOVA scanners and a Subaru scanner, both cannot pull any codes when the CEL comes on, it keeps showing "no powertrain dts or freeze frama data is presently stored" and won't allow me to see anything else.

I'm not 100% sure if the car is chipped, but I'm wondering if there no codes being displayed due to the ECU being chipped? Does a tuner need to remove the chip in order to see the codes? Before i got this error, codes would show normally, got a code during winter for MAF sensor, so I'm confused as to why it's not saving codes.

I'm just worried that if I get another CEL for something different, it won't show any code error. CEL hasn't come back on for sometime now after reseting, but it's really random.

Has anyone got this before? Please advise if you have and what you did to solve it, thanks!

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,612 Posts
didn't get what kind of scanners you used. The cheapo deals like auto parts stores use to help you retrieve codes do not all work on all systems (like the ABS you mentioned.) I bought a professional scan tool that retrieves "ALL" system codes and can see my ABS codes as well as the engine codes. You might want to check if you used the professional full OBDII scan tools?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bad battery connection?
Yes, I checked the positive and ground wires. The positive and ground wires were both very loose and I'm surprised I could even turn on the car. That may have been the issue. I will need to change the wires but for now they are nice and snug.

There is no chip. Subarus have their ECU remapped. It could be a gas cap leak code

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
There is some rust around the seem/edges of the gas cap. Never thought about it as I usually tighten my gas cap more than enough so CEL does not come on. I will check into buying a new gas fuel tank filler.
Before I purchased the car(wrx sti 05) they had to re-map the ECU several times to get the injectors to work with cruise control properly. Perhaps this is a cause of that?

didn't get what kind of scanners you used. The cheapo deals like auto parts stores use to help you retrieve codes do not all work on all systems (like the ABS you mentioned.) I bought a professional scan tool that retrieves "ALL" system codes and can see my ABS codes as well as the engine codes. You might want to check if you used the professional full OBDII scan tools?
As I mentioned in my first reply, I went to a local dealer who had a "genuine subaru" scanner(could just be a regular scanner, who knows) and they could not pull any codes. Also tried my scanner, and a buddies who are both INNOVAS. How much are these "full obd2 scan tools" you speak of? I may need to purchase another one.

Thanks everyone, and I forgot to mention this in my original reply that this is a WRX STI 05.

·
1,612 Posts
The scan tool I have, (AutoIngenuity) pulls "history codes" as well as "current codes" so I can see anything that had recently triggered a CEL even if the CEL is not currently on. However, this could be because the ECUs/ECMs in my cars store such history -- maybe in 2005 WRXs they did not store history codes; don't know.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What modifications does the car have.. and do you know who tuned it?
The dealership who sold me the car told me its a stage 3 WRX STI(not sure what mods this has). Yes, the dealership who owned the car has there own "tuner" who did the tuning. The only problem is this place is up North for me and it's about a 3-4 hr commute to get there. Rather a long distance just to get it looked at, with possibly no symptoms. The car idles, drives, and steers fine IMO. Has a bit of a gas small now though, but I've heard that's normal for these cars?

Haven't had a CEL since I did my ground/positives on my battery, hoping it was just that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The scan tool I have, (AutoIngenuity) pulls "history codes" as well as "current codes" so I can see anything that had recently triggered a CEL even if the CEL is not currently on. However, this could be because the ECUs/ECMs in my cars store such history -- maybe in 2005 WRXs they did not store history codes; don't know.....
I will have to look into this, does anyone on this forum know if 2005s store history codes?

I'm sorry, new to Subaru game as I've only ever dealt with Hondas and I've never seen this happen on any of my Hondas.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BUMPING post for some more visibility. I'd like as much feed-back as possible.

Haven't got a CEL yet after changing my grounds, however I got a bit of backfire?(sounds like im running to rich or lean?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when do you get backfire?
It's random, but usually after I get off the highway(I have an hour commute to work) which makes no backfire sound, only happens after long periods of driving.

FINALLY GOT A CODE THIS MORNING!!! I've never been so happy to get a code pull, lol!!!

p1443 is the code, apparently it's to deal with emissions and gas cap related? Anyone got suggestions? (yes gas cap is ALWAYS tighten, more then x3 sometimes)

·
1,612 Posts
I have had gas cap seals go bad. Even though the cap is tight, the actual o-ring could be crazed and not seal correctly. I also have had fuel filler necks develop small rust-through holes. Both of these will not allow the fuel system to hold correct pressure or vacuum. You could also have other problems with actual fuel system valves but I'd put a new cap/seal on first as it is the easiest, cheapest.

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
Backfire or afterfire?

I don't believe a dealership that says that they have a tuner. Don't wait take it to a performance shop asap. Stage 3 isn't anything specific and it is so non description I wouldn't drive the car until I had someone with sense inspect the vehicle

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Backfire or afterfire?

I don't believe a dealership that says that they have a tuner. Don't wait take it to a performance shop asap. Stage 3 isn't anything specific and it is so non description I wouldn't drive the car until I had someone with sense inspect the vehicle

^this

Backfire indicates a serious mechanical problem with the engine, and most likely imminent engine failure. Afterfire isn't near as bad and can caused by various things.. usually the result of a rich condition.

If the dealership told you they have an in house tuner, 99% chance they're lying through their teeth. Without knowing what modifications and tune (if any) is on the car there's no telling what could be going on with it. It could seemingly run well for 3000 miles, no CEL, then experience sudden engine failure due to improper tuning. If the car has been tuned by a professional, then it isn't stage three.. if the car IS running a stage 3 OTS map from Cobb and you weren't sold the Access Port that goes with the tune, then you got screwed.

·
Super Moderator
11,723 Posts
^this

Backfire indicates a serious mechanical problem with the engine, and most likely imminent engine failure. Afterfire isn't near as bad and can caused by various things.. usually the result of a rich condition.

If the dealership told you they have an in house tuner, 99% chance they're lying through their teeth. Without knowing what modifications and tune (if any) is on the car there's no telling what could be going on with it. It could seemingly run well for 3000 miles, no CEL, then experience sudden engine failure due to improper tuning. If the car has been tuned by a professional, then it isn't stage three.. if the car IS running a stage 3 OTS map from Cobb and you weren't sold the Access Port that goes with the tune, then you got screwed.
Backfire is a good way to remove an intake, intake manifold, and burn the engine bay down in a hurry. It's caused by unburnt fuel entering the intake and ignition happening there. Many times its a bad valve and when the piston rises to TDC on compression and ignites the plug the flame front continues up, past the valve into the intake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'm probably mixing up the two with backfire/after fire. Sounds like a little fart or something pop in the rear end by the exhaust.

I've purchased a new gas tank filler and gas cap to see if this will help with the problem. Only problem is this is my only car to commute back and forth to work. I notice no difference in how she idles or drives with this error, should it be ok to keep driving until I've changed these?

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1724076

This post help me cleared up the two differences. I have after fire.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts