Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys...I need some help

I just installed my STi Uppipe, Stromung downpipe, resinator pipe and muffler (btw...it sounds awesome). I put in the 2.2k ohm 1/2 watt resistor in the EGT clip after I disconnected it from the probe. For some reason, I'm still throwing a CEL. I have disconnected the negative side of the battery and then reconnected it. I still have the CEL. I even had my Subaru mechanic clear the code at the dealer (he's awesome), but I still got the CEL as soon as I started up the car again.

I have read all I can about this problem. I have shoved the resistor down as far as it can go w/o cutting any of the wire off at all. It seems to be installed correctly. I still have the CEL.

Am I doing something wrong? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure. My mechanic said it had something to do with the exhaust temp. He didn't say what the code number was. Sorry.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
if it's exhaust temp, then its the 2.2k ohm resistor that isn't working. maybe you need to try again, or get a new one (defective?)

if it's cat inefficiency, you need the MIL Eliminator for the rear 02 sensor before the third cat.

dR

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have already put in a new resistor (I got 5 for a $1). Maybe I just need to play with it some more. Do I need to cut any of the wire or just push it down as far as possible and leave it? Also, after I play around with it, should I disconnect the battery each time to reset the ECU?

I have the stock 3rd CAT intact so I didn't think I was going to need the MIL Eliminator for the O2 sensor.

I am also getting the Stage 2 reflash from Cobb, so I was wondering if I should just wait until after that or am I going to need the resistor to be working first?

·
1,911 Posts
With the stock 3rd cat you'll throw the CE light because the cat is after the O2 sensor. I hope to God you're not using the stock 3rd cat. If so remove and replace with proper downpipe with 3 inch cat. The stock 3rd cat is horribly restrictive. The 2.2K ohm resistor should be working. I fyou have 1/2 watt try 1/4 watt or visa versa. Sometimes one works and not the other. Wierd but true.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
God,
I left the third cat there so I would at least have one cat and not lose the O2 sensor. I didn't want to go catless or put in a high flow cat just yet. I realize it's restrictive but at this point I want to see how the car handles emissions first. So far, it's running great and I can definitely notice more power and faster spool up. I will get the 1/4 watt resistor and see what happens.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...I talked to my subaru mechanic and he said the code was

"P0546" ... "Voltage signal from the exhaust gas temperature in bank 1 is too high.."

So, now I'm confused as how to fix my CEL. Should I try and replace the resistor with a 1/4 watt one instead of the 1/2 watt one or because I replaced the downpipe, do I need the MIL Eliminator?

Someone please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
142 Posts
u're not listening to god...........keeping the 3rd cat doesn't do anything from getting the p0136/139 cel..........the rear o2 is after the dp cat, and before the midpipe cat

u might not get that now, but it will come, some people don't get it till weeks later

as for u're egt cel, are u sure u're plugging it into the correct harness? buzz out the resistor next time, before u pop it in...i'd stay away from the 1/4w, as it won't take the heat and enviroment of the engine, it'll work for a bit, but it'll blow, just stick w/the 1/2w

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just installed my gutted oem uppipe and m2 turbo back. I have the same problem but I will not know the code until tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you clear your code, and it was for cat inneficiency, it won't come back for a while, but it does come back...

Can someone clear up the difference between the MIL elim and the 2.2k??? Like placement, what each is for, etc.??

Thanks.

-Blue

PS I only ask because I'm having some of the same problems.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2.2k ohm resistor: prevents EGT CEL due to removal of EGT gauge from stock uppipe.

MIL eliminator: prevents cat inefficiency CEL due to removal of cat(s) *before* rear O2 sensor

·
Registered
514 Posts
In a couple weeks I will be installing the Vishnu UP/HKS DP combo together.
My Vishnu UP has a bung for the EGT probe, but the HKS DP does not have any bungs, I am getting it from Grouppe-S with the CEL fix.

My question How many O2 sensors are there total in the exhaust system?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Are you sure? The HKS/DP should have a bung for the rear O2 sensor. Mine did. Unless HKS makes a short DP that doesn't replace the midpipe that I don't know about. I think there are two O2 sensors total; one in the passenger side exhaust manifold, and one in the midpipe.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
guys,

these questions have been answered time and time again on the site. please give a quick search a try. believe it or not, you're not the only people here with aftermarket uppipes and downpipes. ;)

unless there is something new to add or ask on this thread, i'm going to close it. not to mention all of the information is in the top 6 posts of this very thread.

dR

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got it now guys. Thanks for all the help. My confusion was on the downpipe not the uppipe. As soon as I get everything fixed, I'll post some pics of my new exhaust. Btw...I had a performance shop install everything and they did it w/o removing the intercooler or the exhaust manifold and they custom cut the heat shield perfectly to fit back on. It looks and sounds great! Thanks again for the help.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts