Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright, yeah, got the car a week ago... already had it in to have a few dents fixed that the dealer didnt cover up to well... but that wasnt a problem.. last night im drivin around.. droppped my friend off at her house and decided to just drive around for a bit, its like 2 am.. not that it matters.. but about 2 minutes after i pull outta her driveway i get a CEL.... no clue why, car seems to be running fine.... so i pull over... check the gas cap (even though i havent gotten gas since monday) and didnt find anything wrong... drove back to my house, pretty cautiously.... can't get the car to the dealer till tuesday, but he said it should be fine to drive if there doesnt seem to be anything wrong with the way it runs.. anyways, now for the question....

im not too familiar with the exhaust system on this car and where things are located so bear with me..... me friends driveway had a little bit of snow at the end of the driveway.... not very soft snow either, pretty hard.. so when im backing up.. and the back wheels get to the curb and drop off.. im kinda rubbing against the snow on the driveway... but i have no choice but to pull out.... and i can hear this snow rubbing the underside of the car..... is there any possibility that this could have knocked the O2 sensor or something underneath that would cause my CEL. it went on shortly after this happened, after making a left hand turn.. which could have knocked it the rest of the way.. but other than this im clueless... nothing seems to be wrong.... anyone think i could be right, or am i way off??

thanks in advance guys, appreciate it

·
Moderating U!
4,192 Posts
MaK10 said:
im not too familiar with the exhaust system on this car and where things are located so bear with me..... me friends driveway had a little bit of snow at the end of the driveway.... not very soft snow either, pretty hard.. so when im backing up.. and the back wheels get to the curb and drop off.. im kinda rubbing against the snow on the driveway... but i have no choice but to pull out.... and i can hear this snow rubbing the underside of the car..... is there any possibility that this could have knocked the O2 sensor or something underneath that would cause my CEL. it went on shortly after this happened, after making a left hand turn.. which could have knocked it the rest of the way.. but other than this im clueless... nothing seems to be wrong.... anyone think i could be right, or am i way off??

thanks in advance guys, appreciate it
There is a possibility that the wires that connect to the O2 sensor got ripped out, but not very likely on a car with a stock exhaust. I had that concern with my TurboXS stealth back, since the 02 sensor is placed more downstream on the exhaust. And so the O2 sensor wires were dangling for a while. I finally put three stick-um backed tie raps on the wire and stuck them to the bottom of the car and out of the way of the road or anything else I might run over. Check the wires that go to the O2 sensor.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, im just gonna run to autozone and get the number pulled.. it'll make me feel a lot better if i know what it is.... until tuesday when i take it in..... ill let you know what i come up with

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright haha, false alarm, i knew it would be something stupid.... even though i checked the gas cap and the oil and all the stuff i could check.... that might have a little to do with the light.... heres what came back:

P0457 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak (Possibly Due to Loose or Missing Gas cap) hehe

sorry people... i swore my gas cap was tight..... but i guess not... still takin it in tuesday just to make sure, and so they can reset the CEL....

·
Registered
71 Posts
If the car is running fine I would just reset the light myself and save the hassle of dealing with the dealership. Disconnect the battery, reconnect it and be done with it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
He doesnt have to go the dealership. any Autozone will pull the code and clear it. Although they did not clear it for me for somereason. I bought an autoscanner to pull/clear codes myself. Resetting the ECU works but you will loose power and gas mileage for about a tank of gas.

edit: sorry did not read you already went to Autozone, I guess they cant clear the codes.

·
Registered
470 Posts
JRod,

I don't believe any autozone will clear codes, they only have the very simple readers that pull codes that they then have to look up in their computer, they are unable to reset codes... also the one autozone in milwuakee that has a tool that could wont because they say they are not allowed to tamper with your ECU otherwise people might come and blame them for problems and they don't want that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
MustGoFast said:
JRod,

I don't believe any autozone will clear codes, they only have the very simple readers that pull codes that they then have to look up in their computer, they are unable to reset codes... also the one autozone in milwuakee that has a tool that could wont because they say they are not allowed to tamper with your ECU otherwise people might come and blame them for problems and they don't want that.
Autozone will pull and clear codes. I have the same ODB scanner that they use (I bought it from them). They don't have to look the codes up on their computer, their scanner shows the descriptions.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Doc,

You have better autozone's than are area then, as the two around here when I brought in my g/f's car to get checked out only had a code reader that gave a number, they then had to look it up on the computer to see what it meant. And the thing I said about clearing is the Bull**** they gave me when I asked them to clear the code they had pulled.

Maybe it was bs, but I'm passin it along.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, autozone just had a code reader, it didnt display what it was, they had to use the little book that comes with it..... it turned out not to be the actual gas cap but the gasket around the gas cap..... they said it was a new code they hadnt seen before.... oh well... its fixed.. ill remember not to let any gas get on the actual cap or spill out a bit... they said that could cause a bad seal.... anyways.. problem solved.. im retarted :p

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, now the light is back... after i went to the dealership, they said it was the seal on the gas cap... they cleared the code.... not even 24 hours later.. damn thing is back... wtf... and im goin outta town this weekend.. do you guys think its the same code? or should i not take the car on a 4 hour ride this weekend?? please help

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd probably check it out at a local autozone to see if it's the same code and not something serious before you left just to be on the safe side.

Chuck

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, thats what im gonna do.. run to autozone before i take off.... im 99.8% sure its the same code.. but yeah, rather be safe than sorry..... is there a cheap obdII scanner i can buy? i know the one they use at autozone, they sel, its like 30 bucks..b ut id ont thnk it can clear codes..... is there a cheap one that can clear the codes.... again, i could be wrong, maybe the autozone one can clear codes... hehe, its just autozone isn't too close to me.. so i would rather just have one around the house in case.....

·
Registered
470 Posts
I believe if you search on here someone had found one for around $100 that could pull & clear codes and all of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts