ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few times where someone is clearly shifting too aggressively, or speed shifting or whatever you want to call it, and basically forcing the synchronizers in a manual transmission to work faster than they are capable of. The shift fork that pushes the synchronizer can get damaged or the synchronizer itself can crack. You should really allow an extra fraction of a second to let it engage naturally. You'd be surprised how much leverage multiplication the shifter has on the forks and synchronizers. The STI has stronger components in the manual transmission but a WRX is more of a daily driver and it is irritating when some entitlist yonger dude is beating us up for new clutches and transmission parts under warranty. I think its just an education thing. You can't shift like a maniac and you can't expect that factory clutch to hold an extra 50+ horse power. When you hop in a brand new WRX, the clutch is super easy and forgiving because it's not high performance like an STI. It is a daily driver with probably too much boost for it's own good in my opinion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting theory. I've got a bit of an attitude right now because I took a hit on my paycheck to replace some guys worn out shift forks under warranty and he blames anything else but his driving skills. I dont know what else would cause that.

·
Super Modulator
19,549 Posts
I have seen a few times where someone is clearly shifting too aggressively, or speed shifting or whatever you want to call it, and basically forcing the synchronizers in a manual transmission to work faster than they are capable of. The shift fork that pushes the synchronizer can get damaged or the synchronizer itself can crack. You should really allow an extra fraction of a second to let it engage naturally. You'd be surprised how much leverage multiplication the shifter has on the forks and synchronizers. The STI has stronger components in the manual transmission but a WRX is more of a daily driver and it is irritating when some entitlist yonger dude is beating us up for new clutches and transmission parts under warranty. I think its just an education thing. You can't shift like a maniac and you can't expect that factory clutch to hold an extra 50+ horse power. When you hop in a brand new WRX, the clutch is super easy and forgiving because it's not high performance like an STI. It is a daily driver with probably too much boost for it's own good in my opinion.
This is nothing new.

Most of the "problems" are due to poor maintenance/lack of research when modding/cheaping out on components.

Just go to a car meet and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
dont forget about the 2nd gear ratio, thats probably just as big a reason as rev hang.
That is kind of weird too. I can see where your average driver might have trouble driving this car without causing damage. It is a really fun car to drive, but you have to be paying attention.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder if some people continue holding the shifter while driving or even keep pressure on it. That would cause extra shift fork wear because it cant just float in a engaged position like it was designed to.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I wonder if some people continue holding the shifter while driving or even keep pressure on it. That would cause extra shift fork wear because it cant just float in a engaged position like it was designed to.
There is probably a lot of that happening.

I took the Cobb tune out of my car and drove it for a while yesterday. That is awful. Subaru should be embarrassed. Total abuse of the clutch/trans without having any fun. Of course, you don't abuse the clutch/trans if you wait 10 seconds between shifts - It sucks to be beaten at each stoplight by the blue hairs driving mini vans though...

·
Premium Member
10,112 Posts
I just float gears. Or flat foot shift at redline like God intended.

I don't see rev hang being the issue it's been implemented in vehicles for ages now and it's only the performance vehicles seeing the issues. It comes down to lack of skill and the misunderstanding that their street car is the same thing that Colin McRae went flat out in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts