Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, Current "mods" on my 2017 wrx - 1)Cobb AP. 2)Nameless Axle-back exhaust. 3)Cobb SF intake (not yet installed). I am looking to mainly focus on exhaust right now and I am still learning so forgive me if my questions are cringe worthy to you, but frankly I am just trying to get answers so I can live and learn.

1) My next step for exhaust that I am looking to do is J-pipe/down-pipe. There's so many options out there too that's what makes it harder to decide. I've been told that for best performance and sound is catless. I realize how ricer this sounds too but it seems like if you go catless, that allows your exhaust to backfire more causing more crackle/pops and also shoot some flames. Am I anywhere near correct with this understanding?

2) Also, what is the difference if there is any between j-pipe/downpipe and an intermediate pipe and resonated vs. non-resonated?\

Thank you in advance to comments actually providing answers/advice.

·
Super Moderator
11,709 Posts
You'll honestly not gain all that much with a catless downpipe. Even with a high flow cat your exhaust will cackle however my catless exhaust does not shoot flames, has a very distinct odor, and the sound doesn't change much

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll honestly not gain all that much with a catless downpipe. Even with a high flow cat your exhaust will cackle however my catless exhaust does not shoot flames, has a very distinct odor, and the sound doesn't change much

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Gotcha, from what I understand it sounds like if you have a catless set up, it all depends on the tune that you're running to be able to spit flames. From what I understand, the richer you run the fuel, the more ability you'll be able to have to backfire with flames. Sound about right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was catless for a few years with MY05 and the only real benefit is a different sound; there's less of the noticeable boxer-rumble (probably not a concern on the FA) and it definitely cracks/pops and sounds more like a racecar. The downside was a very noticeable exhaust smell all the time which makes sense. I'm back to a single cat now because I got tired of putting it back on for smog (for CA) and outgrew the smell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.