ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Helix catted DP. I live in PA and have no idea if i could have a catless WRX pass inspection, does anyone know? Another thing, is there a big difference performance wise between the helix catless DP and the Catted DP or would it be not so noticable?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Unless you live a really big city like Pittsburgh or Philly, all you have to pass is visual inspection, you won't have to worry about passing an emissions test. If you get a catted downpipe like the helix you should have no problem whatsoever. Remember, most 4-cylinder cars out there only have 1 cat, and I don't know of any other car besides the WRX that has 3 of them. With that being said, chances are very very good that the average joe-schmoe mechanic isn't even looking for more than one cat anyhow. You'll more than likely have more trouble if you go to a Subaru dealer to get it inspected since they actually know what's what on the car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Maybe a few (I read 3 or 4) with the stock turbo. If you go with a bigger turbo and start pushing big WHP numbers it will be a bigger loss in hp over a catless system. If you don't plan on going bigger get the high flow cat and keep the smell from your exhaust down.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Of course if you want to live on the edge you can just go catless and then swap your stock downpipe back on just for inspections. I don't know where you live in PA, but around my area, cops couldn't give a rat's arse about exhaust noise or smell... however if you have window tint on your car.... whooo lordy, watch out. Stupid cops.

·
Registered
575 Posts
ive not read the links posted above but, in PA if youre car passes obd11 scan (computer test) then no sniff test is done, and usualy no visual. Get "friendly" with youre mechanic :wiggles: .
The Cobb a.p. and maybe other E.M. will defete the cel's associated with O2 sensors and thus no cels, and thus the obd scan will be OK.
catless is not "smelly". My car smells fine :D .
If you fail obd, they will do sniff test, and possible visual.
There are alot of threads on this. Search alittle.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
go catless and lower your egt's, if you have to swap your stocker back for inspection, it's only a 30min job max

·
Registered
174 Posts
cheeseybacon said:
Of course if you want to live on the edge you can just go catless and then swap your stock downpipe back on just for inspections. I don't know where you live in PA, but around my area, cops couldn't give a rat's arse about exhaust noise or smell... however if you have window tint on your car.... whooo lordy, watch out. Stupid cops.

I hate SUVs.
If you own or aspire to own an SUV, I hate you as well.
Just out of curiosity why do you hate SUVs while advocating driving a car with no cats?
You must hate SUVs mainly because of their size?

·
Registered
175 Posts
i'm replacing 2 out of 3 cats, the helix up pipe and then doing the helix catted down pipe which onlt has 1 cat. 2 out of 3 cats i wouldn't imagine would be that much of a big difference instead of all 3, but i've never seen a dyno to say different :wiggles:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Think im going to the same route with the Helix catted Dp and Helix Up pipe. Thanks you guys for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree as well, I say get a catted DP and then you wont need to switch back and forth. I dont plan to do Turbo swap, just the pipes. If you plan to do some more extensive modding, then go cattless.

·
Registered
174 Posts
kessler89 said:
go catless and lower your egt's, if you have to swap your stocker back for inspection, it's only a 30min job max
I'd like to shake the hand of someone that can change a DP out in less than 30 minutes. maybe if the heatshield isn't installed???

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
humara said:
Just out of curiosity why do you hate SUVs while advocating driving a car with no cats?
You must hate SUVs mainly because of their size?
Yes, I hate SUVs because of their size and the stupid people who idiotically attempt to drive them like cars and end up rolling them. I also hate them because they're gas guzzling hogs that almost always perform a role that could easily be assumed by a more fuel efficient car. It's one thing to drive an SUV if you take it off road, or have to traverse difficult terrain in bad weather, but for commuting a couple miles to work? Get a car, I say. Granted a modified, performance-oriented car isn't gonna have much better mileage either, but at least it gives you performance in exhange for crappy fuel economy, the SUV on the other hand with all of it's horrible handling, and off-road capability that no one uses, just putzes down the road while getting crappy fuel economy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
cheeseybacon said:
I also hate them because they're gas guzzling hogs that almost always perform a role that could easily be assumed by a more fuel efficient car.
I completely agree with everything you have to say except that. I dont think the handling of a car is determined by its fuel efficiency. Although most fuel inefficient cars are probably more likely to role because of their size.
Anyway, if you care so much about fuel economy shouldn't you also care about emissions? i would think you would run at least one cat. A catless WRX spews way more crap into the air than virtually any stock SUV.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
i didn't time myself but if you know what you're doin its a pretty fast/simple swap

ps i love spewing stuff into the air, especially fireballs :whoa:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts