ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just got my catless downpipe for my 04 wrx sedan. my only mods are a 3" invidia n1 catback which wuz prodone as said by 1st onwer am 2nd. ive did alot of reading about having to get it tuned prior to installing this catless dp (stage 2 tune i believe) my question is prior to installing it should i buy a cobb AP or go get it retuned at a shop or both?

And one more thing doesnt the sti in japan come with a 2.0 engine?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I'd go to a shop for a catless one. Could be in boost creep territory, and I'm sure they OTS maps from Cobb will be cranky without the back pressure. I know I have to watch out with mine - cold days I'll get close to 18 psi around 5k rpm with just mechanical boost pressure (as opposed to the expected 10-12psi).

Call a local tuner. He may give you a real simple tune with just mechanical boost pressure to drive after you install the down pipe.

I'm not confident speaking on the 2.0 liter comment. I know the USDM has gotten both 2.0 and 2.5l engines over the years.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
You will need a tune. So either have the Cobb AP ready to go to flash to Stage 2 (it will run fine with the Stage 2 OTS map on a catless DP on a 2004...not as finicky as the newer gen WRXs)...or have the DP put on by the tuner shop...or put on the DP and trailer the car to the tuner. You'll see best results from a protune, and save a little money as you don't necessarily have to have an AP to tune. Talk to your tuner first to find out their preferences.

Yes, JDM STIs use a 2.0L engine.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
You'll need a retune for the downpipe. While you're there, make sure you replace the uppipe as well.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
yeah a tune is needed for the dp, whether catless or catted

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
2.0l in the 04 WRX isn't going to boost creep.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My bad, didn't even realize it was a 2.0L. I would take the advice of others over mine on the matter. Still a pro tune is always money well spent in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts