Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum and apologies in advance for being a novice...

I have a 2017 WRX 6MT and am looking to start with just a catback exhaust and eventually do a stage 2 (can't bring myself to kill my warranty just yet). It's my daily driver and I'm not trying to make it too loud but I def want a deeper tone and little more aggressive.
Looking for recommendations on catback exhausts and then a J-pipe that will work well with a standard Cobb map- basically trying to avoid a proTune if I can but don't want to add unnecessary risk to engine if parts not mesh well with the standard maps.

I like the sound of Invidia Q300 or the Subispeed Quad Tip Catback- thoughts on those?
I wasn't overwhelmed by the Cobb catback but I imagine going Cobb catback and eventually cobb J-pipe when I get the accessport would be the safest way to go.

Anyone have good success with non-cobb aftermarket parts when they went stage 2 without a ProTune?

Thanks!

·
Æternum
15,555 Posts
Although you are free to take whatever action you see fit, I would STRONGLY recommend to meet up with local Subaru owners and take a drive in cars with specific exhausts. Sound "quality" is a personal preference and YouTube videos rarely sound like the actual exhaust.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, I actually really do like Agency Power's setup.
Listen to it in here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF3NYyVN1LQ
This is a Stage 2 with a catless DP and an ELH upgrade.

ProTune is not something to 'avoid'. Actually, way better option compared to an AOS tune.

I suggest you to go with a turboback system with a high-flow catted DP.
The ELH upgrade would also be quite beneficial for the sound and performance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wait til at least 10K milles on the car then go full Exhaust, Jpipe and Intake. Its like driving a whole new car. Enjoy!

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
zax said:
Although you are free to take whatever action you see fit, I would STRONGLY recommend to meet up with local Subaru owners and take a drive in cars with specific exhausts. Sound "quality" is a personal preference and YouTube videos rarely sound like the actual exhaust.
This. You really need to hear the exhaust in person, preferably on a short drive in the cabin to really make an educated decision. Assuming you don't look/smell homeless, a lot of people would be fine with taking you around for a few blocks to let you hear the exhaust.

halidmardini said:
The ELH upgrade would also be quite beneficial for the sound and performance.
2015+ WRXs already are EL manifold

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here's an example of someone who bought before listening. I had the Agency Power Catback but never got to install it because well honestly the fitment sucked and the welds looked like a squirrel got to them.
For 750 you get what you pay for right?

Then I bought and installed the Invidia Q300 quad tip, wasn't that bad but on the highway cruising around 70-75mph the drone was pretty obnoxious for my taste. I ended up selling it to a friend at a small loss.

Like the guys here say, go to a meet or something. I went to WRX vs EVO day at Raceway park in NJ and heard a ton of different exhausts. Fell in love with the Corsa catback. I also picked up the catted TurboXS J and Mid Pipe too. Ah ?

you're on the right track with the Cobb catted TBE, and an access port, I've heard Cobb's TBE and it's delicious, but for the money if drone isn't a big deal get the q300 or even the R400 exhaust. Stay away from cheap pipes. No SUS garbage either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Master Baiter
12,649 Posts
cwo1984 said:
I went to WRX vs EVO day at Raceway park in NJ and heard a ton of different exhausts. Fell in love with the Corsa catback.
I wish Corsa made a catback for the 02-07 WRX/STi. I'd buy one in a heartbeat...

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
Corsa is a fantastic catback.

I'm also a big fan of ETS.

Good luck with your build!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've got the COBB turbo back and couldn't be happier. I think it's a more mature sounding exhaust that still gets you noticed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts