ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys..i got a dp/up and catback..my catback has a silencer..lets say i'm boosting about 16psi without the silencer..i put the silencer on and the most i get is like 14...how is this possible?? ..how can the silencer affect the boost level??...i know i'm not seeing things..i've checked over and over again...anybody else with similar expirience?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would think that the increased back pressure from the silencer is keeping the turbo from spooling up. It should just cause boost lag....never really heard of it limiting boost unless that silencer is REALLY restrictive....

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk its really weird..its annoying 2 cause i put silencer on for regular driving but than i run into certain cars and i wish i didnt have that thing on...and it does cause a power difference..feels so much better without silencer...maybe its just the 2 extra psi...i'm getting same answers all around..nobody is sure about it

·
Registered
161 Posts
F*** it

If it's causing problems rip it out and throw it in the garbage if you have problems with the cops you can always move to wy I could use some local compitition plus no emitions is wonderful.

·
Registered
656 Posts
haha if u got any probs with the cops because of the noise and you get a ticket then just put the silencer back in and take the case to court :p.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
problem is with this exhaust you can just look at my exhaust and see all the way through of straight piping...i dont wanna get pullled over period..but i just take my silencer off when i'm racing..way i figure if you get caught racing...silencer or not ur owned

edit: i also live in southern cali..and this city glendale/burbank..neighbor sun valley..and if you get a ticket for exhaust their..its an inspection ticket..which means i'd have 2 put everything back 2 stock..uppipe/dp catback and anything else

·
Is in Love With the Admins Here
2,770 Posts
I came across the same thing too. I put in a new boost gauge & put my cat-back with silencer back on after the snow went away. I was boosting no more than 13.5lbs with Cobb Stage 2. WTF? I even used to AP to prove it to me thinking i had a leak somewhere. I took the silencer out for a few days to paint it black & noticed i was back to full boost. I'm a little worried about the cops here, but i'd rather have full boost. Now if i could just get rid of that carbon on my bumper that comes around every week. Anyone know of a good finisher for the rear bumper? I've searched around & came up with junk pieces of metal.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well i had an extra cat back lying around. So i cut out the muffler and welded a 3 inch pipe there. Creating a fully catless exhaust with no muffler. Haha you should hear that! I can easily switch the other one back on in 10 minutes. And it def. has more power. And will most likely get pulled over sooner or later...:screwy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts