Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok quick question i've searched for a few minutes on this and i'm not quite sure and can't look under the car because it's dark an di don't have a drop light. Anyways can you run a downpipe with a catback exhaust or is the catback have the downpipe..ya know what i mean guys??or does the axel back attach to the downpipe?? thanks

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer your question. Here's the TXS turbo back exhaust

The "S" looking thing is the down pipe. The piece with the cat on it is called the front midpipe or the second half of the the downpipe, and It's bolted to rear midpipe. After that is the axle back...the piece with the muffler on it. Hope this helps:)

Fahd

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WRXin' said:
I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer your question. Here's the TXS turbo back exhaust

The "S" looking thing is the down pipe. The piece with the cat on it is called the front midpipe or the second half of the the downpipe, and It's bolted to rear midpipe. After that is the axle back...the piece with the muffler on it. Hope this helps:)

Fahd
ok i believe that's what i thought that the downpipe and the catback connect...correct? going OT for a moment, i saw your signature and i just thought of the funniest quote.when cartman says "yea i met some guy who gave me as much as i wanted i just had to suck it frome a hose"

do you have the magnaflow exhaust? or you just have a pic

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Downpipe will connect to a cat-back...that's one way to do it. The way TurboXS does it, they make a custom downpipe and midpipe which then connects to an axle-back. If you just get an axle-back and then you get a downpipe (Godspeed, Perrin, PDE, HKS, Stromung, etc.) then you'll still have to mate it to the stock midpipe, if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
577 Posts
OK, sorry to hijack this thread and all, but, does anyone know what DP will mate perfectly with a 5-Ziggen catback exhaust?????

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jigga said:
OK, sorry to hijack this thread and all, but, does anyone know what DP will mate perfectly with a 5-Ziggen catback exhaust?????
umm correct me if i'm wrong guys but if they are both wrx applications then they should all fit perfect....I THINK

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:

going OT for a moment, i saw your signature and i just thought of the funniest quote.when cartman says "yea i met some guy who gave me as much as i wanted i just had to suck it frome a hose"

do you have the magnaflow exhaust? or you just have a pic
HAHA:D I love Cartman. I have the HKS cat back. This is just a pic from the TXS website.

Verdugo said:
Downpipe will connect to a cat-back...that's one way to do it. The way TurboXS does it, they make a custom downpipe and midpipe which then connects to an axle-back. If you just get an axle-back and then you get a downpipe (Godspeed, Perrin, PDE, HKS, Stromung, etc.) then you'll still have to mate it to the stock midpipe, if I'm not mistaken.
I've been under the car several time and you're right on the money Verdugo.

SpeedRacerWRX02 said:

umm correct me if i'm wrong guys but if they are both wrx applications then they should all fit perfect....I THINK
Actually, the TXS DP won't mate to anything except TXS midpipe...but the midpipe will mate to any axle back.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
jigga said:
hmmm.... you gotta luv TurboXS for making their DP that way:mad: :mad:
It's really not so bad when you think about it. I'm almost certain there are more axle-backs out there than there are full cat-backs...not to mention you can use one of those "universal" axle-backs if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Jigga -- you can still use your tanabe exhaust, just not all of it. You'd have to buy the TXS midpipe, replace the tanabe midpipe with it, and you're set. You'd have the first ever tanabe axle back:D.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yes that is true...The only problem is that everything is costing a lot more than anticipated because TurboXS designed their DP to fit ONLY their Turboback systems. The TurboXD DP just seems to be proving to be more trouble than it is worth, especially when tring to mate it to a cat back system of your own..

I understand you said that I shoulf purchase their midpipe and all that, but does it not taper towards the end???
arghhhh!:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
Jigga, I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, you've gotta take a step back and figure out what you want to do now. It sounds like you've got a TurboXS downpipe, no TurboXS midpipe, and a 5Zigen cat-back. Did you buy directly from TurboXS? If so, I would've thought they would've sold it as a package. If not, then whoever you bought the downpipe from might have screwed you over for not telling you it wouldn't mate up to your cat-back. With that said, I think you've got a few options:

1. Sell your cat-back, and buy the rest of the TurboXS exhaust
2. Sell your cat-back, buy the TurboXS midpipe, and buy an axle-back of your choice
3. Sell your TurboXS downpipe and buy a different downpipe, such as an HKS, Godspeed, Perrin, Stromung, PDE, etc

I hope you get it all figured out, and I really hope someone didn't screw you over when you bought the downpipe from them without the midpipe.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Verdugo - Thanks very much for the sympathy. I am thinking about getting rid of the TBXS DP. Would you recommend the HKS DP that you have?? I have been told that it is Stainless Stell. Is that true? I looked in German-autowerks's website, and it is listed as SS. I know that it is not bellmouth, but then, I am not having any overboosting problems right not with the stock DP. I am running a Profec B which has kept me overboost-free since March. I was thinking about either getting that, or getting the Stromung 2.5in DP.Only problem there is that I would have liked to stick with 3 inch all the way back.... What do you think??

As for the DP, I actually got it off a friend. I got it AND a unichip (stage2) for a VERY good price. I just thought that the DP would hook up with no problems just like every other DP out there.....

So back to my question, would I lose much top-end rush (which the point of installing a turboback is) if I went with the Stromung??? Or should I go HKS?? I am not sure I want to fork out the cash for those 350USD DP's out there. I am sure they are nice quality and all, but being a unversitty student, I can think of other things I would rather spend the money saved on.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
jigga said:
Verdugo - Thanks very much for the sympathy. I am thinking about getting rid of the TBXS DP. Would you recommend the HKS DP that you have?? I have been told that it is Stainless Stell. Is that true? I looked in German-autowerks's website, and it is listed as SS. I know that it is not bellmouth, but then, I am not having any overboosting problems right not with the stock DP. I am running a Profec B which has kept me overboost-free since March. I was thinking about either getting that, or getting the Stromung 2.5in DP.Only problem there is that I would have liked to stick with 3 inch all the way back.... What do you think??

As for the DP, I actually got it off a friend. I got it AND a unichip (stage2) for a VERY good price. I just thought that the DP would hook up with no problems just like every other DP out there.....

So back to my question, would I lose much top-end rush (which the point of installing a turboback is) if I went with the Stromung??? Or should I go HKS?? I am not sure I want to fork out the cash for those 350USD DP's out there. I am sure they are nice quality and all, but being a unversitty student, I can think of other things I would rather spend the money saved on.
Trust me, I totally understand the money situation. I'm just out of college and just starting out in the real world, so money obviously isn't growing on trees for me either. It's just a matter of saving up for what you really want.

I like my HKS a lot. I don't know if it's truly stainless steel...sure didn't look like it...but right now it's my temporary fix until I save up enough to get a Godspeed downpipe. Plus, since I don't have any plans to upgrade my turbo for at least 6 months (maybe I won't be in debt by then! :D ), it was great bang for buck. I don't think you'd lose much power with a Stromung though. From what I've been reading, the only thing that really differentiates downpipes is whether they have a bellmouth or not. The ones with bellmouths have their differences, but the ones without bellmouths aren't too different from one another. Just go with what you can afford...that's always how I've based the purchases on my mods.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I would go for the HKS unit in a heartbeat since I know that it will bolt up, but then the question still remains as to what the heck the thing is made out of. The other thing I am scared of is that i don't want my car to be as loud as yours is (I saw your videos). But then, I think I will probably just retain the stock cat in the uppipe for emmissions. Do you still have the stock uppipe in place???
It is awfully tempting, but I do not want a DP that will fall apart in 2 years because of rust and what not. That is why I am so anxious to find out what it is made of.

According to HKS's website,and the vendors that I have spoken to, the DP is Stainless Steel, but seems to be painted black.... so what gives????:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
jigga said:
I would go for the HKS unit in a heartbeat since I know that it will bolt up, but then the question still remains as to what the heck the thing is made out of. The other thing I am scared of is that i don't want my car to be as loud as yours is (I saw your videos). But then, I think I will probably just retain the stock cat in the uppipe for emmissions. Do you still have the stock uppipe in place???
It is awfully tempting, but I do not want a DP that will fall apart in 2 years because of rust and what not. That is why I am so anxious to find out what it is made of.

According to HKS's website,and the vendors that I have spoken to, the DP is Stainless Steel, but seems to be painted black.... so what gives????:confused: :confused:
Nope, I've got a Godspeed Uppipe :) When it's time for emissions testing, I'll put my stock downpipe back on for a week prior to testing and unplug my unichip.

Yeah I'm not sure what it's made of either, but I figure it'll last at least a year, and by then I could definitely afford a better downipipe.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yeh... Thing is, I don't want to go downpipe shopping in another year:(
I guess I will probably just go with the Stromung DP . That way, I know it is SS, and I will be able to keep the third cat in place. That should keep noise levels in check don't you think?? I just hope I can feel a difference with it in place as compared to stock.

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
jigga said:
Yeh... Thing is, I don't want to go downpipe shopping in another year:(
I guess I will probably just go with the Stromung DP . That way, I know it is SS, and I will be able to keep the third cat in place. That should keep noise levels in check don't you think?? I just hope I can feel a difference with it in place as compared to stock.
It'll definitely keep the sound levels in check, but you'll still get more power than stock. 1 high-flow cat is better than 2 green-friendly cats :)

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Verdugo said:

It'll definitely keep the sound levels in check, but you'll still get more power than stock. 1 high-flow cat is better than 2 green-friendly cats :)
i think verdugo will agree with me when i say the louder the better

·
Premium Member
6,750 Posts
SpeedRacerWRX02 said:

i think verdugo will agree with me when i say the louder the better
Heh, generally speaking, louder = less restrictive = more flow = more power

1 - 20 of 33 Posts