ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting the Helix uppipe and Downpipe. Im debating wether buying the Helix with the cat in it, or the catless. I will also be replacing the "intermediate" pipe that is between the dp and the rear exhaust section. ( i have blitz axle back right now) My main curiosity would be is it worth ptting a high flow cat in the intermediate pipe? or is that money not well spent? hopefully ill be able to get a lot of input from you all on this matter. i want to consider sound levels, smell of exhaust and also emission, knowing that the catted dp is emissions legal. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
OK, here is the low-down.

Running a Catalytic converter will cost more and rob you of more power. That is why running catless is a much more desirable option. However, by including a high-flow cat, your car will help keep the enviroment clean, and you greatly reduce the risk of the "man" pulling you over for excess exhause odor (at least in cali).

The cheapest downpipe I have seen with a highflow cat is 400 shipped. The rest range between 500 and 700. The more expensive ones cover both the downpipe and midpipe sections.

At stock levels, there is only about a 5-7 WHP difference between the catless pipe and high-flow pipe. Obviously, the more power you make, the bigger of a restriction the catalytic converter becomes.

·
Registered
956 Posts
what can be done for the extra sound?

·
Registered
956 Posts
:D ok i see all or nothn just avoid them cops

·
Registered
525 Posts
I'm still running the stock third cat and it is considerably quieter, so yes, a cat will keep sound down some. For a while, I looked at having a Magnaflow high flow cat from ebay ($50 or so) fabbed into the system, but opted to just leave the third cat alone. The better smell, quieter sound, and peace of mind is worth 5 hp.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'm running a single hi-flow in my TXS stealthback. I passed emissions easily and the car doesn't smell like crap. Not to mention, I have a soft spot for the environment. I'll take the few less HP personally. It's not like the butt dyno is going to detect 5-7 hp. At least not mine anyway...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Im looking at getting the Helix uppipe and Downpipe. Im debating wether buying the Helix with the cat in it, or the catless. I will also be replacing the "intermediate" pipe that is between the dp and the rear exhaust section.
Both the catted and catless versions of the Helix downpipe also replace the midpipe ("intermediate" pipe, as you referred to it). That means if you want a single cat, you'll have to go with the catted helix downpipe, which will end up costing you an extra $150 bucks (Helix Uppipe ($200) + Catted Downpipe ($400) vs Catless Uppipe/Downpipe Combo ($450)).

·
Registered
956 Posts
I saw a guy on ebay selling a down pipe for $150 and it had the seperate parts of the down pipe so I was thinking to ask him if I could run my 3rd car with his down pipe. it's a turbo xs knock off. but with the entire thing it only bolts to turbo xs exahust. so maybe with my 3rd cat I can use it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts