ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I own a 2003 wrx and the previous owner installed a cat back exhaust but the thing i dont like about it is how loud it is. I dont really like driving around sounding like a ricer so I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion for a cat back that has a muffler that actually cancels some noise, but still provides a performance boost.

Also if it could be around 300 or less that would be sick but any suggestion are appreciated thanks!:woocow:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
For $300 or less you're not going to find much except you might get lucky with something used.

The quieter options are:
Borla Hush
Cobb
SPT

Other than that, all of the other ones are fairly loud.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
+1 to ^

For $300 your best bet is to try and search around for something used.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,472 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion for a cat back that has a muffler that actually cancels some noise, but still provides a performance boost.
No. I have never seen any cat back provide a performance boost. Cost and noise levels are not the issue. I sincerely doubt a cat back that boosts performance exists.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
No. I have never seen any cat back provide a performance boost. Cost and noise levels are not the issue. I sincerely doubt a cat back that boosts performance exists.
I missed that part of his post and only answered the cost/noise question. I'm with you on the performance part except that I'd say no catback provides a significant power increase if used with the stock downpipe. You might get a .1% increase in power due to the reduced backpressure, but you'll never get enough performance from a CBE to actually notice it.

The only time you'll ever get a noticeable increase is if you've swapped your DP, done a bunch of mods like maybe a turbo swap, but left a restrictive stock CBE on there. In that case you could get a noticeable difference by going to a high flow unit.

But I'm searching for exceptions that really won't exist in real life... :)

·
29,472 Posts
The idea of a downpipe mated to a stock or stock looking and sounding axle back is not unattractive to me, and there have been a couple "stealthy" systems including one named just that. I like the DIY approach best because it does not attract attention.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I dont have any numbers.. but recently removed the turboxs cbe and put a 08+ spt exhaust on coupled to my invida catted dp/ots stageII map. Its now super quiet and I didn't notice any difference between the two power wise.

What I do notice is that I can make a 5 hour drive from VB to Phili and my hearing is not only intact, its as potent as when I left the house :D

·
29,472 Posts
Computer mods are required with up and down pipe, right?
Not for your model, no. You can do them if you wish and you will likely increase output in doing so. However, a few dollars in CEL fixes will get rid of the CELs generated by the pipes and the motor will be OK. This holds for your model specifically.

EDIT: Sorry, this was answered above anyway. Recommended.

·
29,472 Posts
CEL = Check Engine Light.

The up pipe will generate one because you will be getting rid of an EGT sensor (and justified in doing so).
The down pipe will also generate one.

Both can be dismissed with an engine management solution, either commercial, DIY, or shop-provided (in exchange for $).

Both can also be dealt with using mechanical fixes.

Follow the link in my signature, there are at least ten hours of reading on all/any topics with lots of info and I think you will enjoy it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts