2002 WRX 5MT

-APS 70mm CAI
-TurboXS UTEC
-APS DR650 FMIC
-Ultimate Racing 680cc injectors
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
-catless uppipe
-catless 3" turboback exhaust

it's currently tuned with the factory injectors in it on the stock td04-13g and it's like eh ok, but it's definately time to move up to a bigger turbo, i'd like to see the neighborhood of ~300whp and NOT sacrifice *TOO* much reliability on a good tune, choices i've kinda tossed around so far have been ported & polished/coated VF22 and FP 18G but i just can't decide what's going to be better for me

·
Registered
342 Posts
everyone's going to say "it all depends on what you want" so if you want quick response with good top end vf34 slower response with good top end vf22...18g.............20G :druels:....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why is everyone endorsing vf3x's here?

from what i've seen they're pretty lame next to vf22/16g/18g on pump gas?

pretty much ruled em out

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would just like to see ~300ish whp with a fun powerband on 93, it's apparent i can't launch for crap since i ran [email protected] as my best time with my current setup with a 2.1 60ft so i probably won't do much dragging until i learn how to get out of the hole better, but i would definately like a lot more midrange and a WHOLE lot more topend, i've just concluded from plots and other's expierence that the vf3x's are good daily driving turbos but MANY other options fair better because they don't make much on top with 93

·
Registered
960 Posts
for 300whp you're gonna need an 18g turbo or larger. I have an 18g and it spools fairly quick. Full boost (22psi) around 3500 rpm. I can still drive fine when I'm not in boost too.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If he already has a APS Dr650 fmic he should probably go with a 18g, or even a nice p & p td05 16g.

Also a PE1818F should get you to 300whp nicely. Snowvert is running this setup and it seems to work for him.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
phreze said:
If he already has a APS Dr650 fmic he should probably go with a 18g, or even a nice p & p td05 16g.

Also a PE1818F should get you to 300whp nicely. Snowvert is running this setup and it seems to work for him.
I would recommend the PE turbos for 300whp also. Another prk is that the numbers can be reached without running huge amounts of boost.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
phreze said:
snowverts car is pretty stout. he took me for a ride in it a couple weeks ago and it stuffs you in the seat and doesn't let off. i believe he has the dr650 and had it tuned to a reliable 300 whp. there is more to be had with this kind of setup. if you got the $$, do this one.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
bluerex47 said:
snowverts car is pretty stout. he took me for a ride in it a couple weeks ago and it stuffs you in the seat and doesn't let off. i believe he has the dr650 and had it tuned to a reliable 300 whp. there is more to be had with this kind of setup. if you got the $$, do this one.
I thought he had a vf34? Or did he originally and change it?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Pe1820's are beautiful, but pricey. You will have 300+ at the wheels, most people are in the 300's with 1820's, and they are very reliable.

Rich

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
ebr0t said:
18g WAY over the 22
Bah...lets not get ridiculous...18g's aren't putting down insanely larger numbers then vf22's...it seems on average about 10-15 more whp on pump gas. VF22 vs 18G is more of a budget dilemna, vf22 = really cheap and plentiful but for some more money the 18g will make some more power and respond to race gas better.

·
Registered
15,299 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
SERacing said:
And Roffa and VF22WRX both made 300+ whp on the vf22 so whats your point ;)

Like I said...on the dyno they're not WAY apart...I know the 18G would come out on top, but its not as exaggerated as people make it out to be.

It's largely a personal preference. I've just read of a few people having problems with the 22, and I'd take the little more power and the earlier spool, for the money but I get what your sayin. Seriously wondering, does the 22 have the creep problem of the other ihis?

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
AjIsDope said:
I thought he had a vf34? Or did he originally and change it?
def an 1818. dunno about before that.

and why are you guys suggesting the 18g? i mean 22 psi is cool and all, but on a little 2.0 litre? i mean is that pushing the stock engines capability or not? i was under the assumption pushing much past 20 psi boost will risk hurting the engine. i dunno, tho, i'm just reading/learning up on the turbos as much as i can

1 - 20 of 30 Posts