Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this video would be helpful to some people newer to modifying cars or just into cars in general. Its really well put together and is very factual.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Long time no see, how have you been?

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
What does make us happy?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
Also the sight of a Wankel car is really getting on my nerves.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been good just trying to figure my stuff out and still dabbling in cars when i can. How about you? I'm not one to talk cause i'm contemplating spending stupid money on a car but I always have to think in the back of my head is it worth all of that.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
19,727 Posts
I came close to spending stupid money on two different cars since the pandemic. Two different dealers saved me. Cars are just metal, not worth getting emotional.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
Good to hear. Hobbies are expensive, some more than others. Sometimes its less the vehicle itself and more just nice to have nice things after putting in the work.

I'll never be happy with a vehicle. I need varied driving dynamics to keep me entertained.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
This video is best suited for late teens/early twenties kids. If you're over 30 and haven't figured this out, you're probably miserable.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This video is best suited for late teens/early twenties kids. If you're over 30 and haven't figured this out, you're probably miserable.
That is partially true but I feel like thats the people that need to hear it the most or someone who just doesn't know. I remember being a 16 year old kid pining over my dads old 1967 Shelby Gt500 and when he eventually sold it I wanted to buy it back because I thought it was awesome. The guy wanted 87,000$ for it and I told my dad I wanted to buy it and he told me not to. I asked why because that was pride and joy, He told me cars nowadays have come a long way and the car at the time was great but now its mostly for nostalgia and is it really worth 87k to you for nostalgia. I still get glimmers of spending stupid money like on a NSX I saw for a cool 85k but then i have to pump the brakes and think about my future or some trip I could be making instead.

·
Æternum
15,861 Posts
I feel that it's unfair to assign anyone at any point in their lives to a particular bucket.

We all go through life at different paces and different orders, and that's OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you love to drive, enjoy the sound of the tuned exhaust(I could listen to my subi 4 ever) and are always pretending your in NFSUnderground2, than cars can be great.

·
Super Moderator
11,436 Posts
If you love to drive, enjoy the sound of the tuned exhaust(I could listen to my subi 4 ever) and are always pretending your in NFSUnderground2, than cars can be great.
Let's go back to a time not so long ago. When I purchased my first vehicle that I could say was fast. 2006 bmw 550i. It was no race car but a full sized land barge that could hit 60 in an easy 5 seconds and a quarter mile that was competitive with or beating the hot hatches and mustangs of the time.

I'm just cruising along, totally focused. Living out my Gran Turismo fantasy in my mind as I'm craving down state route 177. My lovely girlfriend looks over at me and lays a very powerful illusion breaking question on me.

"Are you race car driving?"

No

"Are you lying?"

Yes.

Now I can never find that zone again. It's dead to me.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
19 Posts
Part about having friends that used to be into cars and now aren’t.... I seriously have zero friends that give a shit about cars anymore. Getting old.... having kids..... so lame

·
Registered
441 Posts
Part about having friends that used to be into cars and now aren’t.... I seriously have zero friends that give a shit about cars anymore. Getting old.... having kids..... so lame
Priorities. Private schools, college and then grad school sure took some of my toy monies for ~20ish years (X in the Dad box of no college debt for my yungun'). Now that I'm retired, I have different constraints. I guess, I am pretty lame. I have a couple of fake knees that may contribute to being a bit lame. Also, I'm old. No getting away from that. Now a cool car for me would be an E63s AMG Estate.

·
Registered
2021 White Base WRX.
19 Posts
Priorities. Private schools, college and then grad school sure took some of my toy monies for ~20ish years (X in the Dad box of no college debt for my yungun'). Now that I'm retired, I have different constraints. I guess, I am pretty lame. I have a couple of fake knees that may contribute to being a bit lame. Also, I'm old. No getting away from that. Now a cool car for me would be an E63s AMG Estate.
I'm a huge fan of wagons! They're almost always sleeper cars that stay under the tuner radar. And I'm only being silly about the "so lame" comment 😜
That's awesome to be able to start the little one off without a mortgage of student loans! Not too many people can do that 👍

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I did not watch the video. I can't get over the ****boi teaser pic to actually click on it, but I can guess the points that are made.

As long as you set expectations properly, cars can make you happy (both directly / indirectly). I have zero regrets on my ownership of the Subaru; I have formed some amazing, lifelong friendships as a result of it that I never would've if I didn't buy the car. In addition to that, I've developed some skills that could benefit me down the road in terms of DIY maintenance/repairs if I ever see fit (lately, I've been choosing to outsource most work on vehicles). There were a bunch of times I would need a bit of a break from the world, and would take the car out into the surrounding rural areas and just burn a tank of gas; I did that instead of spending money on a cruise or beach vacation. The Subaru is a money pit (albeit far less than some people who went through multiple built motors and such), and it'll never be worth what I spent on it, but the "pros" to this car have certainly outweighed the "cons" tenfold, IMO.

Where the issue arises is someone is trying to fill a certain void within themselves with a vehicle. This will almost certainly result in disappointment.

A vehicle is a depreciating asset. From a financial standpoint, some vehicles depreciate at faster rates than others. What you do with that vehicle, can help offset some of those "losses" by giving you some pretty positive "gains". What you do with a car can also compound the issue and make things worse for you (e.g., becoming car broke).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts