ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
The hood on my 04 WRX was recently damaged by a hail storm. SInce my insurance wont cover it, my options are,
new hood and repaint
attempt to have the 19 dents removed by dent doctor
buy a new carbo fiber hood. My question is, how safe are carbon fiber hoods in an auto accident. Do they bent or give like the metal hood ? My concern is if I got into an accident the hood would not bend or break and would be dangerous.
Is this true ?
Thanks

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
jaytone said:
Hi
The hood on my 04 WRX was recently damaged by a hail storm. SInce my insurance wont cover it, my options are,
new hood and repaint
attempt to have the 19 dents removed by dent doctor
buy a new carbo fiber hood. My question is, how safe are carbon fiber hoods in an auto accident. Do they bent or give like the metal hood ? My concern is if I got into an accident the hood would not bend or break and would be dangerous.
Is this true ?
Thanks
y won't insurance cover it??? it all depends on the company that makes it. ****ty CF hoods will crack and well they suck, but from a good company it's a good product. Either way it's not like a hood is going to save u if u rear end someone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, the insurance wont cover it. My concern about a carbon fiber is that in an accident, is there more chance for personal injury. Do they give at all like metal does or is there more of a chance that it will come through the windshield ?
I am concerned about the rigidness of them and how they react to an impact.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I'm pretty sure that if they are hit hard enough they would just splinter up. It would probably just break in half. I don't think any real severe personal injury would occur from one.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
The latch on the hood will probably be the first thing to go and the hood will either crack or pop up.... I wouldn't worry about it.

S

·
0 Posts
theres a rumor that CF hoods on a front end collision will go into the drivers cockpit and sever everyones heads off :confused1

this is what happens instead...

MidKnight said:
The latch on the hood will probably be the first thing to go and the hood will either crack or pop up.... I wouldn't worry about it.
u will keep ur head. safe as a regular hood. not safer or more dangerous...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I am in the same boat as jaytone. I didn't get hail damage but this past winter some stupid lady had driven on one of those muddy crosses in the highways that cops use and I got blocked in behind her. All the mud flew off her tires and I guess had rocks in it because I got like 4 or 5 dents in the hood after that with chips in the paint. I know CF won't dent and being as it looks like they are selling VIS on ebay for about 500, doesn't sound like a bad deal.

My question is: Looks like they have an STI sized hoodscoop and doesn't look like there is any support for the scoop so could this cause the scoop to flop and vibrate really bad in windy conditions? Does anyone have one on their 04?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts