Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 Subaru WRX, bought it knowing I’d need to put some work into it. I just thought my dad would be able to help but he’s busy with his own things so I’m dipping into this all by myself. I’m a girl so know absolutely almost nothing about cars, willing to learn but I was depending on my dad for that. I’ve been running it without a tune since I got it (a few months) <guy whole sold me the car sold his accessport separately> but the only time I’d drive it was around the block to practice shifting no more than an hour every other day, literally the day after I got fully comfortable driving it and taking it out on the major streets it gave out on me, I went to fill up on gas and it was hesitating to start back up, gave it some gas and got it going, pulled out the gas station, at the light the car was jerking and losing power, stalled out and the next light it completely shut off and now won’t start up, only the fans start up when turning the car on, as far as I know there is a vacuum leak and I’d like to fix it but literally don’t know what parts to buy to replace everything. (If anyone could drop a link that’d be appreciated)
But the codes I get on the obd scanner are ;
P0123
P0118
P0183
P0113
P0108
P0244
I’m more focused on at least getting it up and running so I can get it to a mechanic if needed, just don’t want to tow it somewhere and be told it’s something more serious possibly getting over charged for the simple fact that I’m a girl. (Happens SO much to me every time) But obviously I’d like to fix the other problems as well if I can figure it out with some help from here. I’d like to learn more about the car and how to take care of it myself so any help at all is very appreciated!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are all sensor errors from coolant temp to wastegate. I'd suspect a loose connection to the ECU or somewhere in the engine bay. Possibly a bad ground.
What do you recommend doing? I’d like to try everything I can before taking it somewhere to get professionally looked at to save me the money, especially since I’d have to pay to tow it..

·
In Æternum
23,565 Posts
Can you please list the non-OEM parts that have been installed on the car?

·
In Æternum
23,565 Posts

It has 1000cc injectors upgraded turbo system and straight piped exhaust and suspension that’s all
Well this is a major problem if the car's ECU tuning solution has been removed.

It's really no wonder the car won't start. Does it wreak of raw fuel?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this is a major problem if the car's ECU tuning solution has been removed.

It's really no wonder the car won't start. Does it wreak of raw fuel?
So what do I do about the tuning exactly? Cause I know it needs that, and I have the money now for an accessport but what do I do after getting it? I never dealt with anything like this so I’m learning
And yes, before the car shut off it did smell like gas and for some reason another time before this happened it did the same thing only after putting gas in the car

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Omfg, you should never have drove the car in first place! Not even for idle! Your running non-oem injector, non-oem turbo, straight exhaust! You absolutely need a tune! Thats not even a choice…

No wonder it was running bad and stalling.

Im sorry to say that, but you are starting from lightyears away, I wish you luck.

Find an Accessport, get the car atleast e-tuned by a tuner to see if it actually run again. Just that will put a bullet in the wallet. Damage could be permanent… I hope not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Omfg, you should never have drove the car in first place! Not even for idle! Your running non-oem injector, non-oem turbo, straight exhaust! You absolutely need a tune! Thats not even a choice…

No wonder it was running bad and stalling.

Im sorry to say that, but you are starting from lightyears away, I wish you luck, poor little girl.

Find an Accessport, get the car atleast e-tuned by a tuner to see if it actually run again. Just that will put a bullet in the wallet. Damage could be permanent… I hope not

Yeah I really hope not either, could it possibly be anything else besides that reason that it doesn’t start? Cause without the accessport it was running what seemed to be ok and it didn’t start doing that until as of recent after driving a longer distance, I use to only drive around the block. And I know I have a lot to learn, I went into this expecting help from my dad but now dealing with it on my own and don’t know what else to do

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
Yeah I really hope not either, could it possibly be anything else besides that reason that it doesn’t start? Cause without the accessport it was running what seemed to be ok and it didn’t start doing that until as of recent after driving a longer distance, I use to only drive around the block. And I know I have a lot to learn, I went into this expecting help from my dad but now dealing with it on my own and don’t know what else to do
Car was “new” to you, so you can’t tell if it was running good, you never drove it with a cobb ap and a tune, so you got no reference of whats “good”. It maybe seemed fine to you but in truth wasnt. You found out when you actually used it for a real ride (which turned bad).

Call it how you want, with the mods you got, it can’t run good without engine management.

The guy is a stupid lame ass to sold you that car without the “motherboard”… it should have told you that you absolutely need it in order to use the car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car was “new” to you, so you can’t tell if it was running good, you never drove it with a cobb ap and a tune, so you got no reference of whats “good”. It maybe seemed fine to you but in truth wasnt. You found out when you actually used it for a real ride (which turned bad).

Call it how you want, with the mods you got, it can’t run good without engine management.

The guy is a stupid lame ass to sold you that car without the “motherboard”… it should have told you that you absolutely need it in order to use the car.

yeah I know I’m gonna get the accessport and hopefully nothings permanent, thank you for the help

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,541 Posts
So what do I do about the tuning exactly? Cause I know it needs that, and I have the money now for an accessport but what do I do after getting it? I never dealt with anything like this so I’m learning
And yes, before the car shut off it did smell like gas and for some reason another time before this happened it did the same thing only after putting gas in the car
You'll have to seek out a company that can do the tuning for it. It'll cost you access port plus whatever tuning fee. Those usually run 500ish bucks give or take. IF you can find someone who will tune the cat delete at the moment.

I'm still unsure as to why those specific codes would be thrown. I've seen all levels of asinine shit bolted to these without tuning and those codes are not part of the common list, even after the engine has popped.

You need tuned, period. You probably need an oil change because I'm guessing you've got some hefty cylinder wash. You'll probably want to check the plugs for carbon build up as well.

·
Registered
16 WRX cvt
647 Posts
yeah I know I’m gonna get the accessport and hopefully nothings permanent, thank you for the help
Yea, at this point, I would get an accessport, get in touch with a tuner, theyll request the full mod list. Try to see if he can just get the car running “acceptable” with a base map tune. No point getting a pro-tune at this point because I don’t think the car is “safe” or “ready” for a dyno run. At least you could see if it runs correctly and then drive to a desired garage and get a better understanding of whats going on next.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You'll have to seek out a company that can do the tuning for it. It'll cost you access port plus whatever tuning fee. Those usually run 500ish bucks give or take. IF you can find someone who will tune the cat delete at the moment.

I'm still unsure as to why those specific codes would be thrown. I've seen all levels of asinine shit bolted to these without tuning and those codes are not part of the common list, even after the engine has popped.

You need tuned, period. You probably need an oil change because I'm guessing you've got some hefty cylinder wash. You'll probably want to check the plugs for carbon build up as well.
Yeah I’m gonna order the accessport now,
Yea, at this point, I would get an accessport, get in touch with a tuner, theyll request the full mod list. Try to see if he can just get the car running “acceptable” with a base map tune. No point getting a pro-tune at this point because I don’t think the car is “safe” or “ready” for a dyno run. At least you could see if it runs correctly and then drive to a desired garage and get a better understanding of whats going on next.

okay thanks so much for the help hopefully it comes in soon

·
In Æternum
23,565 Posts
Stop.

Before you order an accessport, talk with your local tuner and see if they will support an OpenSource tune. The OS definitions for the GD-era cars are up to snuff. No need to spend $700 on an AP when the OP2.0 offers more features.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Stop.

Before you order an accessport, talk with your local tuner and see if they will support an OpenSource tune. The OS definitions for the GD-era cars are up to snuff. No need to spend $700 on an AP when the OP2.0 offers more features.
What is an open source tune?
is the car needing a tune the over all reason why it won’t start? Since it did smell like gas my dad wanted to check the fuel line but couldn’t find it , guy who sold us the car said it’s been loose

·
Not a mod... or is he?
15,541 Posts
It's a tuning solution that is not proprietary means like the accessport is owned by Cobb. It's open and free to use by anyone.

The tl;Dr version is it's a community supported tuning solution.

It doesn't have as much support today as it did with the older cars, but the community around it is still there and offers some tunes up to the public. The big advantage aside from that is the software is free, the hardware is inexpensive, and it will run on most any laptop.

·
In Æternum
23,565 Posts
I think this goes without saying but... you should have not bought this car.

It's a 20-year-old vehicle for starters and signficantly modified to boot. I would not have bought this car and I have a lot of knowledge and experience on the GD platform. You are in WAY over your head. Drop it off with a professional and have them sort it all out. And yes... there will be a large impact on your wallet.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.