ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Monday, I was at my gfs house and was leaving. The road she lives on is next to a canal, and it flooded due to high tide and the rain.

I drove through it because I had to get home, and didn't realize how deep it was. As I was driving through it, I saw a minivan with the water up to the bottom of its bumper. My car is lowered.

I didn't stop, and managed to make it through, but the splash guard under the car ripped off a bit, and the whole underside was exposed to salt water. I also believe the salt water made it into the engine bay.

Today, I put the car up on a jack, and took the splash guard off. I hosed off the engine bay, and then sprayed some simple green all over it. While I let that sit for a bit, I hosed off the entire underbody of the car, then hosed off the engine bay again to rinse it off. I started to car to help it dry off.

Is there anything else I can do to ensure the salt water won't cause damage?

i planned on changing oil, tranny oil, brake fluid, pads and rotors in about another 1500 miles.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Drews is more of an expert on freshwater. For saltwater other than hosing the car down thoroughly I don't see what else can be done .& +1 on the CAI,if you have one.

Isn't this the second time the car got flooded?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
I assume the canal is saltwater since it goes out into the ocean.
I would assume the canals flow INTO the ocean, not FROM the ocean. The Delaware River in NJ is freshwater, but flows INTO the Ocean as well. Makes a big difference.

How the hell did you get an entire head to fill up with water???

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
You may be surprised, it's probably fresh water moving out to the ocean. Ocean water typically does not flow upstream

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it at all. The car made it through the water fine and has been working since then, so obviously nothing was really in a position to get damaged. Hosing it off was a good idea and I wouldn't worry about doing anything else.

You may be surprised, it's probably fresh water moving out to the ocean. Ocean water typically does not flow upstream
Yes it absolutely does. Tides will push salt water upstream in any river, stream, bay, etc that's near the ocean.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think any more replies are moot until Drews can provide his expert opinion.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got to go for a drive today. Afr idles at 14.5, which is close.

He is the first person I went to when I had a similar problem lol. If you have an after market intake make sure the filter and mass airflow sensor is dry!
I'm going to change my filter and clean my maf today.
I would assume the canals flow INTO the ocean, not FROM the ocean. The Delaware River in NJ is freshwater, but flows INTO the Ocean as well. Makes a big difference.

How the hell did you get an entire head to fill up with water???
I had the intake manifold off and was waiting on my tgv deletes from grimmspeed when a hurricane decided to visit. Water from all the rain got in.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Wow so random. That had to suck!

·
Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with
8,921 Posts
You should be fine. Since you didn't have to stop and you were able to plow through without incident, you should have a problem. Since your car starts and runs at close to your correct AFRs, I wouldn't concern myself. The major problem is when it sits submerged. The it gets into your trans, diffs, and anywhere else it can. You should be alright. I'd scrub the underbody of the car if you have access to a lift, normal hosing and simple green is no match for salt water.

Reactions: etnpnys and maus

·
Æternum
20,623 Posts
^^ Expert.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You should be fine. Since you didn't have to stop and you were able to plow through without incident, you should have a problem. Since your car starts and runs at close to your correct AFRs, I wouldn't concern myself. The major problem is when it sits submerged. The it gets into your trans, diffs, and anywhere else it can. You should be alright. I'd scrub the underbody of the car if you have access to a lift, normal hosing and simple green is no match for salt water.
+Rep on this expert advice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts