Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but then i would be able to slow start in 3rd gear or go in reverse woudlnt i? I cant go anywhere in any gear it just sits and revs high and makes a weird noise. I only have 10,000 miles on my car, and i was just driving normally then gave it lots of throttle and boom. Doesnt make sense

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Dont go nuts on me now.....;)

But how often.... BEFORE the big boom did you launch/shift a bit more "Spirited" than "normal" in that 10,000K?

Be honest<G>

And NO I am NOT tryin to be a wise ass,

I just dont think it would just go boom without any hard previous driving.

I am pretty sure mine would too!

Thats why I try and stay in the milder end of the ol, "Spirited" (to quote Subaru:rolleyes: ) driving.

SHotgun

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have not been hard on it, i am not dumb; i dont do clutch drops or anything stupid. When i launch i always slip it the right way. I used to shift really hard after i got my WHITELINE differential bushings in, becuase before that i would get the famous THUMP, but after it i wouldnt. I could actually chirp 2nd gear with just a turboback and utec after the bushings. Still, i was driving normally down the road and i hear a noise get progressively louder then BOOM. Do u guys think i should take off my perrin intake or leave it on? Everything else is going off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It could be center differential (or a combo of front/rear/center). Bother the front and rear diffs are driven off of the center diff. If it goes, then you would loose all "go motion" no matter what gear you were in...

Will the gearbox let you get into all of gears normally, or do any of them grind/crunch or not go in?

You could try jacking the car up and laying underneath it and have a friend rotate some of the tires and try to locate where the grinding noise is coming from when the car rolls. This could help you diagnosis...

Sorry to hear this... good luck.

-jason

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
imprezaRSfan! said:
i have not been hard on it, i am not dumb; i dont do clutch drops or anything stupid. When i launch i always slip it the right way. I used to shift really hard after i got my WHITELINE differential bushings in, becuase before that i would get the famous THUMP, but after it i wouldnt. I could actually chirp 2nd gear with just a turboback and utec after the bushings. Still, i was driving normally down the road and i hear a noise get progressively louder then BOOM. Do u guys think i should take off my perrin intake or leave it on? Everything else is going off.
What I am keyin on here is the "Chirp" in second, i,e there is some pretty strong torque goin into the tran/driveline.....= good chance of boom.

I tend to let the torque spread a little further with slower clutch release and slower/smoother shift.

And yes, I would take the intake off........Just to save some possible hassle at the dealer;)

Our driveline behind the engine seems to be one that decides for itself when it will go dead........Some "baby" it and some drive the sht outta it, It has a "mind" of its on I guess?

Sad but Im seein it to be true........:(

Shotgun

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i tried to park the car in 1st gear, and it rolls as if nothing happened. Would that still be the clutch(not grabing the gear?) or is it definitaly the transmission. Again i can go into every single gear, even reverse. It goes into every gear and notches into the right spot, then ill let out clutch and give it gas and nothing happends and i hear a grinding/scratching noise. Sounds like something is off track inside the tranny, or maybe the clutch exploded. I took off my turboback yesterday, today is all the other mods.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I grenaded a clutch in a shelby charger turbo many years ago, I got the boom, but i was going over train tracks spinning the tires and the wheel hop and inconsistant grabbing of the tires broke the clutch,,, and I mean Broke. I could shift into all gears perfectly but in letting out the clutch I heard rattling/grinding sounds. Sounds like a diff or clutch.

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
schischwein said:
??? Care to refer me to a pic of what you are talking about?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
grimm said:
I grenaded a clutch in a shelby charger turbo many years ago, I got the boom, but i was going over train tracks spinning the tires and the wheel hop and inconsistant grabbing of the tires broke the clutch,,, and I mean Broke. I could shift into all gears perfectly but in letting out the clutch I heard rattling/grinding sounds. Sounds like a diff or clutch.
schischwein, tacomaboy,

It's a car:
Dodge-Shelby Charger Turbo

-Jim

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
My favorite as far as name goes was the Shelby Dodge Omni GLH - GLH for Goes Like Hell. LOL.

All of those Shelby mini-mopars are capable of putting out big power when modified:

http://minimopar.net

Being a turbo engine mods are pretty much just like a WRX.

C

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for hijacking my thread :tongue: j/k
I have an update:
they said they need my permission to open up the tranmission and it costs $790. They said if the gears were grinded, which meant i 'raced the car' then i would be responcible for it. Then he said if its anything else, they would cover the 790 and a whole new transmission. I told him OK becuase i didnt really have a choice.
I dont think the gears are strippped cuz i was in 2nd gear just driving when i heard this noise and then it got louder and then pop. I did NOT shift hard from 1st to 2nd and then it went pop, i was just driving normally and it did this in the middle of 2nd gear. Also i read that some people when they brake a gear, they drive around from 1st then to 3rd, then 4th etc. I cant go anywhere. Not even reverse. Same effect every gear. Im hoping its not the gears.. WHat do u guys think it is based on the conditions i gave you?

·
Re-Addicted to WRX
952 Posts
that sucks...^ I agree with him...keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts