Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could everyone go over what they do to wash their car? Like what car wash stuff they use, soap, wax, shammies, sponges etc. And what exactly their procedure is, because this is the first nice car I've ever had to bother washing good. Black is damn hard to wash too, so I could use tips. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking for something a little more specific than that. Like brands of wax, soap, how to dry it etc. Thx for the response though.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
IMO, the "Mother's" products are the best.
they have a three step treatment, a wash, prewax, and final wax, which protects and shines beautiffuly.

MacGuire's is also premium shi+. especiually their higher end waxes, long term tire finishes etc.

nothing touches my car but those two.

expensive, but you get what you pay for. don't even bother with anything else.

DR

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I know pretty much nothing about the products area but as for procedure here goes:
1)spray gently to loosen particles(use shower setting, no high power hoses)
2)lather up while dunking the sponge in the bucket frequently so that dirt your scrubbing off(and subsequently picking up onto sponge) doesn't scratch the car
3)wheels(as mentioned), use different sponge especially getting brake dust off. Tyres(if you wash them) can get jet setting to get crap off and light scrub with rag(sponges will wear out quickly)
4) Rinse, using shower setting again.
5)Wax is your personal opinion. All in one wax rubbed on with a cloth is all good. Some detergents have wax type ingredients so that if you don't wax, it'll still look it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
just wash with soap that is made for car washing. don't use dishwashing liquid as it will strip the existing coat of wax. i use a 100% cotton mitt to wash the car. as far as drying , i use the California water blade. i think the thing works awesome. and to finish drying in the hard to reach areas, i use a synthetic shammy.

considering you have a black car, that thing is going to swirl like a MOFO. i know that's what happened to my black eclipse. anyways, zaino makes a product for swirls and scratches that will help you out to.

i'm not a user of zaino products yet, but i just ordered a supply of stuff a couple days ago. my buddies use it and they swear by it that it's the best.

check out what the NSX people had to say about it:

zaino NSX test

BTW, knightwrxrider -- do you call your car KITT? :D :p

[ August 30, 2001: Message edited by: Mt_Fuji ]

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recommend using McGuires car wash. This formula produces good lasting suds and does not strip off the coat of wax on the paint.

You should always use a clean soft wash mit. I prefer the type of wash mit which is made from faux lambs wool. Launder the mit between uses to remove dirt particles which can scratch the paint.

You should start washing the roof of your car and work your way down -- washing and rinsing one section at a time. Always make sure each section is wet before you begin to wash it. Never wash the car in direct sunlight. Always dry the car with a soft chamious cloth after each wash.

Lastly, put apply a good wax product to the painted metal surfaces. You should re-apply the wax at least two times wach year to protect the finish.

Have fun... :D

·
Registered
554 Posts
I usually just pull forward, say gimmy the $12 special and no scent please. 15-20 minutes later my car is miraculously cleaned and ready to go.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Drink beer,
have wife put on skimpy bikini
give her the hose :D

·
Registered
103 Posts
My bad, that's a procedure for something else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
no, i think that will work with a car wash too! ;)

G

·
Heres my process, works very well.

1. Dish Soap (yes, that's correct) - It strips off the old wax so that you can polish the car better. Wash until the water doesn't bead-up. If its still beading, you still have wax. Afterwards, you'll have a wax-free surface to shine up.

2. Mothers Clay Bar - I use on the whole car except for the bumpers. They're not worth the trouble. This will get all the grit and grime out of the paint and clear coat. Without the dish soap, this step has a minimal effect.

3. Mothers Sealer and Glaze - This will fill in all the little swirls and fine scratches. Makes the paint look real nice.

4. Mothers Carnuba Wax - Last, but not least, you put this on. By now, you should have a perfectly smooth and clean surface to wax. I usually put 2 coats on.

With normal cleaning, you should only need to do steps 1 & 2 about once a year. That is depending on climate and mileage, though.

I use Mothers Showtime and the good old Cali Car Duster inbetween waxings. So, there you go. Thats my process, and it works wonders. I've owned Black cars almost my whole life, so cleaning them is more of an adventure than just an afternoon job. Later all.

·
Registered
99 Posts
all u guys using mothers and meguairs, try zainobros. i guarantee that zaino will blow those 2 away. hands down no questions asked.

joe

G

·
DR, yep, thats the stuff I use. I used to be a Meguiars fan, but that was before I tried the Mothers stuff. Really like it. As for the Zaino stuff, or whatever. I'm very happy with the stuff I use right now. I don't doubt that it works well, but the stuff I use currently gives me everything I want. Until it stops doing that, I'm going to continue using Mothers. Not bagging on the stuff, I've never used it. But, I'll just stick to what I've got. Like they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Later

1 - 20 of 21 Posts