Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it ok to go through a car wash, like delta sonic with the wrx?

i mean, i am affraid of all the soap that gets squirted on the cars when they go through the wash, will it damage any internals because the hood scoop is completely un-blocked?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
lol do you think subaru would make a car like this if there was going to be a problem? i dont understand why people are so scared of their engine getting wet...what happens when you are driving and it rains? i always open my hood and spray the pressure washer in there when i wash my car...never had a problem!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i always open my hood and spray the pressure washer in there when i wash my car...never had a problem!

My cuz did this to his (not sure what year) old boxy body style Prelude a week ago. Couldn't start his car for 3 days. Not sure what exactly the problem was, but I think something got wet that shouldn't have.[

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my ZR-1 that i used to have, you could not pressure wash the engine becuase the starter was exposed and you can severely damage it, wont be able to sart her back up.

so was kinda sceptical about the wrx.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I rode with a freind of mine once in an old GTi. The car ran like total crap. Just before we took it back to the dealer I said "hold it - pop the hood". The distributor was full of water!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
haha yeah im careful i stay away from electronics obviously..i guess i really didnt sound that way in my other post!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
SpeedShift said:
is it ok to go through a car wash, like delta sonic with the wrx?

i mean, i am affraid of all the soap that gets squirted on the cars when they go through the wash, will it damage any internals because the hood scoop is completely un-blocked?
Don't forget that one popular performance mod is to add a water sprayer to your intercooler just underneath the scoop opening. Don't sweat it!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know if this would work at the carwash, but it's worth a shot.

I remember how when I was younger, my dad used to spray down the engine to clean it. But he would always get a sheet of foil and cover the distributor, so water would roll right off and not touch it. I guess if you did that right before entering the car wash and removed it directly after, then it should be okay. I think everything else under the hood should be fine and unaffected.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Isn't the rest of the engine protected by the rubber (or plastic) of the air splitter? I know it directs airflow into the IC, but doesn't it also protect anything getting to other parts of the engine bay?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use to wash the engine on my Jeep all the time. It wouldn't start sometimes because there would be water in the alternator, so it wouldn't create a spark. The fix was a screwdriver and a paper towel.

·
Registered
294 Posts
ebr0t said:
i ONLY handwash the rex. i dont trust the automatic ones, and i dont want to make a 1500$ mistake and have it blast off my body kit
Ahh yes, but when it's below 35deg for 4-5 months in a row hand washing aint fun. There is a new high tech drive thru near my office, I see 50k beemers and benz's going thru it, I have not had a problem. Just dont forget the antenna.

·
Registered
966 Posts
JTREX said:
Ahh yes, but when it's below 35deg for 4-5 months in a row hand washing aint fun. There is a new high tech drive thru near my office, I see 50k beemers and benz's going thru it, I have not had a problem. Just dont forget the antenna.

Ebrot from florida so........:D

·
Registered
907 Posts
Its not a good idea to pressure wash your engine, especially spraying around the electical areas...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts