Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question regarding car washes. Someone at the dealership made it seem like it would be bad to take my '06 OBP WRX through a car wash. They said something to my wife when she mentioned taking it through said wash. They also never gave a reason or any information, but instead made it seem like it was taboo.

Is there a reason to stay out of car washes? All car washes, or are the "touchless" ones okay? I have a black car that gets dirty quickly, and I don't always have the time to hand wash it. I have not taken it through a car wash yet, but I would like to know if it is even an option.

Thanks for the feedback,
CZ

·
Registered
412 Posts
youll be ok with the touchless ones. but they dont clean as well as they should.....

but handwashing ALL THE WAY!!!

yeah...i just finshed washing and waxing my car!! ooooOoooo shinny.........!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

for the quick replies.

Yes, hand washing is obviously the preferred method, but I just wanted to know if there was an actual reason to not take my car through. I have heard that Subaru's paint quality was not very good, and I wondered if this had any relevance.

Thanks,
CZ

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to work at Waterway (hand-carwash) and the towels there were not microfiber. I noticed that over time, repeated customer's vehicles would produce swirl marks, this was especially noticable on black cars. When I wash my car, I don't use any of the "techniques" that I was told to do when working there. I take my time, where as at car wash stations, everything is rushed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I too have a black WRX and believe me, don't let even a Soft Touch car wash touch your car.
Not even a place that cost $20 to wash your car. It will wipe off dirt then wipe again and again with the dirt still stuck on it.
WRX WAGONE is correct, swirls and light scratches will be EVERYWHERES.
If you can't hand wash, then hose off the major dirt and just wait til you have time to hand wash it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
If you really want a quick surface wash, go to one of the places with the handheld pressure washers. Still doesn't do that great of a job, but at least you're in control of it, and nothing besides water and soap is touching the car.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
jaqattack02 said:
If you really want a quick surface wash, go to one of the places with the handheld pressure washers. Still doesn't do that great of a job, but at least you're in control of it, and nothing besides water and soap is touching the car.
problem with those (and touchless washes) or any carwash for that matter is the soaps are industrial strength and will strip wax and cant be too good for the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question regarding car washes. Someone at the dealership made it seem like it would be bad to take my '06 OBP WRX through a car wash. They said something to my wife when she mentioned taking it through said wash. They also never gave a reason or any information, but instead made it seem like it was taboo.

Is there a reason to stay out of car washes? All car washes, or are the "touchless" ones okay? I have a black car that gets dirty quickly, and I don't always have the time to hand wash it. I have not taken it through a car wash yet, but I would like to know if it is even an option.

Thanks for the feedback,
CZ maryland car detailing
Hello.
I know this is a rather silly question, but what approaches to you take for keeping your Q3 clean?

I am motivated to ask because the car I have on order is black, and it will be the first black car we have owned. In the past I have washed my cars (mostly lighter colors) by hand when new and precious until I get too lazy a few years into ownership, and then I go to a drive through car wash. However, I know that many car washes can leave swirl marks on black paint and I'd like to keep this car looking as good as possible for a long while. And hand washing is not a good option in winter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts