ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car running strangely - need some help!

I have put my car back to stock w/ the exception of the Blitz SUS. I'll be putting this back to stock later, but one of the screws holding the MAF sensor on is stripped so.... later...

I finally got the last stock piece (intercooler) today and installed it. I fired up the car and good news - no CEL and it started :) It was running a bit rough, but I still needed to add coolant and I figured it would take a bit of time for the ECU to adjust to the Blitz after removing the UTEC. I added coolant as the engine reached temperature.

Soon, I started to hear a sucking sound that seemed to come from the driver's side of the engine. Then the idle started to get rougher. I gave the car a bit of gas figuring there could be air in the fuel lines or something. When I held on the gas the engine seemed okay (still a bit rough). When I let off the car almost died, then the idle bounced up to 1K for a second then it killed.

Now when I start it I hear a breif squeak as if from a loose belt (I haven't touched any belts) and the car runs for only a second before killing. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. I've checked for coolant, oil, and fuel leaks and can't seem to find any. There's a hint of gasoline smell in the engine bay, but I think that's due to the fuel that spilled when I installed the stock injectors.

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update - so I took off the intercooler and checked around for hoses with possible vacuum leaks. The cam breather line was a bit loose, but that shouldn't be causing this problem. I put a zip tie around that to temporarily cinch it down and then started the car without the intercooler just for the hell of it. Well, the car started and ran a bit rough (as you would expect given the unmetered airflow. The good news is that it stayed running.

I then reinstalled the IC to see if I had fixed the problem. As soon as I restarted the car the idle dove from around 1100 (car was still cold) to almost dead. It then jumped back up and then died. Does this give anyone any additional clues?

I'd gladly pay to get my car fixed right now, but I can't even drive it to the shop:mad:

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Try fixing ur intake, i know when water got in my intake car would run rough and die, very scary.

Sorry:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
heh this happened to me did you put the maf sensor in wrong the little clip that hooks and unhooks should be face towards the front of the car....check it

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the MAF is pointing in the right direction. I took off the GBOD on the driver side to see if I could pinpoint the source of the sucking sound. I think there is a bad seal on my injectors. I am going to try reinstalling them to see if that helps at all.

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it looks like there is, indeed a bad seal on one of my injectors - it just slides around freely on the injector. Because of that, the injector isn't seating right. I Think the sucking I was hearing was air being pulled into the manifold around the injector.

Now I have to wait until Monday to see if I can get a new injector seal and find out if that will fix the problem.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I just want my car back - it's been out of commission for weeks. I guess if they don't have the seal in stock I'll just empty my pockets for a brand new injector. THIS SUCKS!!!!!

·
Banned
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay - I figured I should fill this in just in case anyone has a similar problem in the future.

The problem was that I bent my fuel rails a bit when I was removing the STi injectors. Because of that one of the injectors was not creating a proper seal where it entered the engine. After several hours with a pair of pliers and alot of trial and error I got the injector to seal. No more vacuum leak around the injector.

I was still having problems with misfires after that so I swapped out my plugs for some new ones as I figured I fouled the plugs. Once the swap was done the car purred just like when she was brand new.

Hopefully things will stay that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts