Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a ticking sound thought it was a rod knock. I was driving to an engine rebuild shop to see what the deal is and then the cars temp rose out of control. I pulled over, and coolant everywhere. What the hell is wrong?

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Ticking, or banging? The instant an engine begins to show signs of rod knock it needs to be shut off immediately and towed. If the engine continues to run the entire thing will be trashed within 60 seconds.. if you tried to drive it somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if it seized, snapped a rod, and punched a hole in the block.

I would look and try to see where the coolant is coming from.. that will give you a better idea of what happened to it.

An easy way to tell if an engine has had a bearing fail is to drain the oil and look at it for metal flakes.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It could be your line came completely off. Check where the leak is originating from and if you see a hose disconnected or damaged you will know why. I had that happen to me after I parked my car at home.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ticking, or banging? The instant an engine begins to show signs of rod knock it needs to be shut off immediately and towed. If the engine continues to run the entire thing will be trashed within 60 seconds.. if you tried to drive it somewhere I wouldn't be surprised if it seized, snapped a rod, and punched a hole in the block.

I would look and try to see where the coolant is coming from.. that will give you a better idea of what happened to it.

An easy way to tell if an engine has had a bearing fail is to drain the oil and look at it for metal flakes.
Yeah check where the coolant is coming from, it could be a radiator/cooling system issue and not a blown engine.
It could be your line came completely off. Check where the leak is originating from and if you see a hose disconnected or damaged you will know why. I had that happen to me after I parked my car at home.
UPDATE ON CAR: I just got it towed to a mechanic so I'll find out tomorrow the issue(s). Before it was towed I jacked the car up to see the source of the leak. I also checked the oil and it looked fine black with a gold tint to it, just changed less than 1000 miles ago. The leak looked like it was possibly from the turbo on the passenger side about wheel length back from the bumper. The car had a brand new vf52 turbo and ej255 block installed 25k miles ago. I would assume a coolant line to the turbo is loose? But I have no idea what the ticking sound which got loud when given gas. I'm assuming the coolant problem is just a loose hose so that should a quick fix but the ticking could be something worse, but who knows maybe it's a water pump. No clue what this could be.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who built the engine? And were you the owner when it was built and installed?
It was built by Matt at sandbeck racing development who has built several subarus and have seen much of his work. I wasn't the owner when the car had the work done but I have the receipts and confirmation he had done the work. I had filmed the sound right before the coolant went out I'll attach link below. No one here in the small town I live in knows really how to work on subarus let alone a modified wrx. Definitely in a sticky situation with not a lot of money....

·
Super Moderator
10,959 Posts

It escalates quickly.

You said the leak was near the turbo. Did you verify all hoses were attached? The video you posted never worked for me so I didn't hear the sound. A clicking or tapping noise can be several things from valves, a bad bearing, heat shields, exhaust leaks, or piston slap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It escalates quickly.

You said the leak was near the turbo. Did you verify all hoses were attached? The video you posted never worked for me so I didn't hear the sound. A clicking or tapping noise can be several things from valves, a bad bearing, heat shields, exhaust leaks, or piston slap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
All hoses were attached I spotted some coolant on turbo. The guy had to tow it so I didn't get a long look. I'm just really hoping it's not a rod knock requiring rebuilt because I can't afford.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts