ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 wrx
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, today I took my car, 04 wrx with a hybrid engine, in to PRE Racing for a pre Dyno inspection. The only problems found were some leaky hoses found during a smoke test and those were fixed without issue. Now my car drove and ran fine before this, but while I was passing on the highway suddenly the revs started skipping around and the car was jerking back. I got off the highway with only some pulsing and stopped and let it rest. When starting the car again it was running and idling fine at first then it got worse and started dying. At one point it died and would not turn back on, however did after letting it sit for a few min on the side of the road. I saw the afr during one of these episodes spike to 21 lean, and I know it had the right fuel as I filled it up earlier and watched as the attendant pumped 92 octane. The only thing replaced on the car was a leaky hose regarding the fuel pressure regulator. I check all the injectors and none are leaking and all of their connectors are seated properly. There is no cel light or codes for me to work off.

Anyone with even the slightest bit of insight would be much appreciated, however I'm not going to change anything on the car so if the shop is liable for this that is not compromised by any changes I make. Anyway please let me know what you think, this car is incredibly important to me and for it to suffer like this is tormenting me.

·
Premium Member
10,806 Posts
You said you were working around the fuel pressure regulator. Something there would be suspect for me. Bad regulator bad pump something of that nature

·
Registered
2004 wrx
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts are the fuel regulator. The inspection invoice says they replaced a broken fuel pressure vacuum signal line. My reading also says that this line being bad can cause over-rich conditions which I have experienced under any boost. But they also said they fixed that line which I would think would be the end of a problem not the beginning, if that makes sense.

·
Registered
2004 wrx
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so some more information. I figured out that the problem seemed to be tied to the rpm as when driving in first gear, as it moved into the powerband the exhaust went machine gun and the car jerked back hard. After that I found I was capable of driving with no issue when I went slowly and light load, staying under 3k rpm and very light on the throttle, which is how I got home. At a stop light I did a test rev in neutral with light throttle and it went lean and died around 3-4k rpm. After that it did not start again for a few minutes. I was not paying attention to boost when I tested so I am unaware if it reaching boost has a correlation with the fuel cutting. Under light load and approaching higher rpm it will sometimes stutter but will recover, or at least did when the problem first started.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts