ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i first installed my catless turboback i noticed a large difference in performance... it pulled very well...

recently, in the last week or two, i have notice that it doesnt pull as strong and doesnt get that "turbo" kick it used to.
i have 2 suspicions.

1) theres a leak. there is a strange noise coming from underneath my car once around 4k rpm, (no its not the turbo) and i think it might be a leak..... the shop that installed my DP and apex gt spec catback used thin gaskets and i *think* that might be the problem... but would this start to cause lack of performance after a couple weeks??

2) its all in my head. and i am just getting used to the power... my butt dyno is bored. which requires more mods to cure!

whats do you guys think?



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,825 Posts
DTR maxima said:
when i first installed my catless turboback i noticed a large difference in performance... it pulled very well...

recently, in the last week or two, i have notice that it doesnt pull as strong and doesnt get that "turbo" kick it used to.
i have 2 suspicions.

1) theres a leak. there is a strange noise coming from underneath my car once around 4k rpm, (no its not the turbo) and i think it might be a leak..... the shop that installed my DP and apex gt spec catback used thin gaskets and i *think* that might be the problem... but would this start to cause lack of performance after a couple weeks??

2) its all in my head. and i am just getting used to the power... my butt dyno is bored. which requires more mods to cure!

whats do you guys think?

i had the same sorta problem..do you have an uppipe on it yet?? reason i'm asking is cause..if the leak is after the turbo..it wont hurt your pefromance..but if its an uppipe leak than i'd fix it...mine was a dp leak after turbo..i got it fixed and catback put on same day
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
I would vote for you getting used to it...my story goes something like this: daily driver was a 92 Camry V6 (200 hp, w00t) I get the WRX 5 speed completely stock...I'm driving on the highway and lay into it...of course in 5th gear at 50 mph the car felt dead but once it started to make boost I was like whoa this is scary how much quicker this car is then the Camry even without proper gear selection, then I got used to it, did up pipe + mbc, again thought it was great, got bored, Stage 2, same deal...Stage 3 etc etc and now I'm getting a turbo.

So, cliff notes: I got used to my power VERY quickly.

Also maybe you got some bad gas or maybe the weather changed, all play little parts in how a car feels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,068 Posts
SERacing is right.

When I picked up my car after the up&downpipe I got on the freeway & said WOOOOOWWWWW Holy S***!!!! This thing feels awesome. A couple days later it just felt like something was missing. I think you are getting use to the new power.

If you had a uppipe leak you would know it & so would everybody around you.

J.D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the weather def. plays a factor.... In chicago it tend to get pretty humid in the summer... and it has been around mid 80's with a fair amount of humidity lately. the other day it dropped to the low 70's with a nice breeze... felt like my car had an upgraded turbo thrown in it, lol..... although this is my first turbo car, i wouldnt think that the weather would play this large a roll in its performance...

i guess its just a combo of the weather and getting used to it...

thanks guys



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
ramair18954 said:
try driving something slow for a week. or just dont floor it for a while. ive got a vf22 on mine and im getting bored of it already
Noooooo! I didn't even get my STi injectors for mine yet...this is why I'm debating buying PE 650cc's so maybe I can step up just the turbo later on and not have to go through injectors again..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
You have started falling down that long, slippery and expensive modding road that gets just about everyone after they install the turboback.... Your a$$ became more numb, meaning you got used to the power.... Next, if you haven't been tuned, you might want to look into that for some more grunt.. After that, a better intercooler, then turbo, then injectors, then..... next thing you know, you just dumped some maddd $$$$$ into you car again.... Sad thing though... is that you soon get used to the power again, and start looking around for the next fix..:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,174 Posts
Honestly, I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, other than if you think you want another mod, just lay off the car for a while. I know this sounds weird, but see if you can borrow your mom's station wagon, or take your dad's corolla to work one day. Ride the bus, ride your bike, or something. I have been without my car since last monday morning and I just KNOW the second I get back in my WRX that it's going to feel like a freaking freight train...even though up until when the engine blew, it was feeling more and more natural to hit 18lbs in first gear :D

Get a break from the rexie and it'll feel good all over again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Semi-related story. It was 84 degrees F here, with 80 percent humidity, so I thought I'd leave the windows up, moonroof closed and drive with the A/C on. What a dog!!! I felt like the car was junk. From now on, I'll just sweat it out unless I'm on a long highway drive or taking my wife out somewhere. The subie does not like to be restricted by stupid A/C just to make me comfortable!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
Bah! I just decided to push the vf22 on stock fuel until about 16psi and it felt ok...hopefully when I get injectors and the pump/tuned it will knock me back in my seat or I'll be doing an 18G or a PE1820 asap...I really think I'm just going to get 650cc injectors just to cover myself for future upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,174 Posts
SERacing said:
Bah! I just decided to push the vf22 on stock fuel until about 16psi and it felt ok...hopefully when I get injectors and the pump/tuned it will knock me back in my seat or I'll be doing an 18G or a PE1820 asap...I really think I'm just going to get 650cc injectors just to cover myself for future upgrades.

[chanting] DO IT DO IT DO IT!!! [/chanting]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
lol i had the vf22 at 9psi for like 2 weeks until i got a utec and injectors and fuel pump. cars a monster at 19psi. im getting retuned at turbo trix when i get my front mount. supposedly with my mods and their tuning i should be well over 315whp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
ramair18954 said:
lol i had the vf22 at 9psi for like 2 weeks until i got a utec and injectors and fuel pump. cars a monster at 19psi. im getting retuned at turbo trix when i get my front mount. supposedly with my mods and their tuning i should be well over 315whp
YESSS! But 315 whp? Seems high for the 22, is that on pump gas? I was looking for around 280ish with a TXS TMIC...damn did I hijack this thread :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Timdog1650 said:
Honestly, I can't say anything that hasn't been said already, other than if you think you want another mod, just lay off the car for a while. I know this sounds weird, but see if you can borrow your mom's station wagon, or take your dad's corolla to work one day. Ride the bus, ride your bike, or something. I have been without my car since last monday morning and I just KNOW the second I get back in my WRX that it's going to feel like a freaking freight train...even though up until when the engine blew, it was feeling more and more natural to hit 18lbs in first gear :D

Get a break from the rexie and it'll feel good all over again.

I know my Celica's going to feel like a damn rocket once I get her back from driving a Sentra for almost 2 months. :)


DTR, have you checked for any exhaust leaks?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
yes I as well noticed that the car has a power surges and blackouts, when its humid the car just looses the throw you in the seat power but when its dry and colder man does it pull. In cold whether I feel the car starting to push hard at 2800 rpm no matter whether i am in 1st 2nd or 3rd, but in hot wheather and the AC on i think a riced out honda might have a shot at me, it feels like the turbo is gone except maybe in first gear at 4500 rpm I think that the humidity more then enything is making the car slow and in NYC it can get pretty dam humid around and when it does everyone feels lazy :p not just the car:D
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top