ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2013 wrx hatchback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work this morning and on the highway at about 5-6 k rpms I heard some kind of noise that sounded like something came loose or flew off. Now the car starts but dies immediately. Anyone know where things might have gone wrong??

·
11,965 Posts
Just casually cruising along engine wound out puttering to work.

Could be a number of things, but from that short description id lean towards spun bearing. Did the sound continue after you returned to normal not insane driving conditions?

·
Registered
2013 wrx hatchback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the problem fixed. The problem was MAF sensor, the little wire inside broke off. I got the sensor replaced but it seems like the car is running rich now. I was told the replacement sensor sold at the local part store is generic and not good, and I need to get one straight from Subaru but I needed to drive the car back home so I bought one from Autozone.

·
Registered
2013 wrx hatchback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never found where the noise I heard came from tho. I guess maybe it could have been a backfire

·
Registered
6 Posts
My MAF had corroded and caused my car to idle really rough and was pulling timing often. Local dealership had it for $150 shipped.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,471 Posts
FYI If the car were running Rich you’d get a CEL PO172. If the car were running mean you’d get PO171.

·
Registered
2013 wrx hatchback
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I been driving the car since I replaced the sensor and it seems like it has gotten a lot better. It idles good, it kinda seems like it had to get adjusted to the new sensor. I’m not getting no codes I just thought it was running rich because every time I went to rev up the rpm on its way back down to idle it would backfire more than it used to.

·
11,965 Posts
I been driving the car since I replaced the sensor and it seems like it has gotten a lot better. It idles good, it kinda seems like it had to get adjusted to the new sensor. I’m not getting no codes I just thought it was running rich because every time I went to rev up the rpm on its way back down to idle it would backfire more than it used to.
Because I HATE the misuse of the term backfire I'm going to clarify that if you had back fire it would blow the intake off the car.

The AFTERFIRE you are most likely talking about can be caused by a lean afr as well. You should probably get the vehicle checked.

·
Registered
48 Posts
quick turnaround there op, really glad to hear youre back on the road. are you now wondering if youre running any other "generic" stuff or are you good now? or things are going good and dont want to ruin a "aint broke dont fix it" moment?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts