Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I installed an AEM 320 Fuel Pump on my 2004 WRX/STi Hybrid. Being the first time doing this, I watched a thorough video and read a few installation guides through Google. I followed the directions step by step. Like I cranked the car on, disconnected the green fuel pump relay, then turned the car off, disconnected the negative post on battery, opened the gas cap, removed the back seat, unbolted FP cover, unplugged the hoses, remove assembly, switched out the pump, and reversed everything. I made sure the tank was at about 1/4 full before doing this procedure.

The car was cranking but not starting at first. Then after a few hours it did. I made sure the fuel pump was priming as I could hear it. Now, the car cranks but won't really start this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated! I gotta get this thing running because I need to install the new COBB injectors before taking it to the Protune this Wednesday.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
Why did you switch the pump? Was the car not working before? Maybe it was not the pump that was the problem to start with.........

Did you check for fuel before the HPFP up front?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the car used and it was jerking during 3rd and 4th gear. I took it to my local Protune Shop and they suggested I change the Intake (which was initially bad), the fuel pump, injectors and the downpipe (which I can't afford right now), before going forward with a Protune. They suggested a Protune because they said it's a heavily modified STi Hybrid. Now, I'm stuck trying to find out what is wrong with the car now. HPFP do you mean the High Pressure Hose? Regardless, I'm taking **** apart again to see what I can dig around and find the cause.

·
Water.....sometimes waves
1,611 Posts
OK, I missed the 2004 part. I don't know what type fuel system that has. HPFP may not be applicable. "Jerking" between gears (is it an automatic?) does not sound like a fuel problem to me. But that is irrelevant to it not starting after you changed the pump if it was starting before you changed it, right?

If it was starting fine before you swapped pumps, it is most surely something you did:
loose hose connection seal, pickup not in actual fuel, missed hose connection, wrong size connections somewhere. Do you see any leaks when you try to start it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts