ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know this has been covered before, but with the ever changing car audio world, I'd like to know what you all have, why you chose it, or what you wish you had and why.

I've got,
PNAV-7015 DVD Receiver w/ Navi
Sirius Satelite radio
Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 Amp
Rockford Fosgate Punch P5002 Amp
PPI Par 245 EQ
Kove Audio Opulent Series 6 1/2" Components (Front)
Kove Audio Opulent Series 4" Mid-only (rear)
Kove Audio 10" T3 Armageddon Sub w/ cusrom enclosure.

I like these components, as $ - Performance is very good, sound quality is decent, but will likely change amps and speakers soon to Audison and MBQ's or Dynaudio.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have:

Kenwood KDC-X679 AM/FM/CD
Kenwood Sirius Tuner
MB Quart Reference 6.5" Components
JL 8w7
JL 450/4 - 300wrms to the sub and 75wrms to each component set

I chose this equipment becaust it sounds excellent, with a pretty low total weight. This is in a 2004 Wagon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have-
-alpine 9830 cus it was on sale
-alpine 4 channel amp cus it was on sale
-alpine 2 channel amp cus it was used
-5.25" cdt braxials cus it was a good price on ebay and someone here recommended them to me
-10" polk momo enclosed cus it was $150 on sale

my system cost about $1200 including installation. I'm a cheap a$$! It took me about 2 months to wait till everything went on sale, but it was worth it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Headunit: Eclipse CD5423

Amplifier: JL Audio 4/300

Speaker's: MB Quart RSC 213 (5.25")
MB Quart PKC 110 (4.00")

~No subs yet but I do have a blown JL 10" W7 sittin in my room if that counts...

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bubis said:
Headunit: Eclipse CD5423

~No subs yet but I do have a blown JL 10" W7 sittin in my room if that counts...
I'm a JL dealer. Where did you buy it from, I might be able to get it fixed cheap (less than $200), if not free (excl. shipping).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have (in my current car (S13)):

Empeg 40GB indash MP3 player - Because I fell in love with it @ 1st sight.
3 Linear Power amps
Altec Lansing ALC-10(?) X-over
5 1/4 component alpines up front
6x9 Altec Lansings in the rear parcel shelf (with some wild CF cones)
15" Atlas Sub (forget mfg @ moment)

To *my* ear, I haven't heard many car stereos that sound better than what I have in mine..

What I want (for my future car (STi)):

Kenwood 7015 DVD w/ Navigation added later
Sirius Satelite
Stock speakers probably won't last long, and I will probably want some kind of a sub, but nothing nearly as heavy as what I have now.. Too much weight in my current system :(
I haven't listened to any new speakers in a LONG time, so who knows what I will like now.

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bluesix said:
I have (in my current car (S13)):

... 15" Atlas Sub (forget mfg @ moment) ...

Kenwood 7015 DVD w/ Navigation added later
Sirius Satelite
Stock speakers probably won't last long, and I will probably want some kind of a sub, but nothing nearly as heavy as what I have now.. Too much weight in my current system :(
I haven't listened to any new speakers in a LONG time, so who knows what I will like now.
Hifonics. I'm a dealer for them as well.

I can hook you up with the 7015, as well as high end speakers and amps. Check my vendor listings.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ej20fan said:
Hifonics. I'm a dealer for them as well.

I can hook you up with the 7015, as well as high end speakers and amps. Check my vendor listings.
Yep, I actually cracked open the rear hatch today to see as I was curious.. I'm gonna miss my stereo when I get my STi.. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me a good deal :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Alpine CDA-9835 -cuz i wanted it to match the gauges :rolleyes:
JBL C608 GTI 6.5" components - no particular reason, shoulda gotten quarts or focals instead...
JBL Px600.2 amp for mids (180w rms x 2)... Really nice amp
Resonant Engineering XXX12 subwoofer... cuz RE's subs are absolutely awesome
JBL BPx2200.1... to match my other JBL in styling, and besides - everyone should have a 2500w rms amp in their trunk :D

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Still sitting in my closet for 3 yrs after being removed from my old car :(

Pioneer DEX-P1R
PPI DEQ-230
PPI PC 4800 & 2600
MBQ QM 218.61Q component set
JL Audio (2) 10W3D4

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Setup

I did not want car rattle loose bass, just clean sound that would not be distorted at any volume level, I succeeded. Lots of work...I took my time, so it took me about 30 hours.

Speakers & Sub
Front 6 1/2" Components - MB Quart QM 2216 CX
Rear 4" Full Range Speakers - MB Quart RKC 110
Subwoofer - Bazooka 8" RS804DVC

Head Unit & Changer
HU - Sony CDX F5705X CD/MP3
CD Changer - Sony CDX-757MX

Amps
Power Acoustik LT480/2 Driving Front
Power Acoustik Gothic OV2-300 Driving Rear
Aura MR475Q Driving Bazooka

Miscellaneous
Lighting Audio 1.0 farad Cap
Streetwires Zero Noise 6 RCA Cables
Streetwires Power Distribution Block
Legacy DIN Pocket
More....Can't remeber right now

·
Registered
274 Posts
Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9827
Amps: Rockford Fosgate 4004 (speakers) and RF 2002 (sub)
Front Speakers: Boston Acoustics FS60 (6.5" mid, .75" tweeter)
Rear Speakers: Boston Acoustics RX47 (4" mid)
Sub: Boston Acoustics Generator 10"

+ some Dynamat for the doors, just for good measure.

I'm pretty happy with it. The bass isn't wake-the-neighbors loud, but it's got enough punch to keep me going.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Head Unit: Alpine CDA-9833
Front Speakers: Focal 165 K2P 2-way Comps
Rear Speakers: MB Quart DKE 2-Way Coaxials
Amp: Phoenix Gold 400.2 Ti

I will get a sub in the future, but right now it's not high on my priority list. Also, Sounddomain sent me a defective amp, so right now it's been sent in to PG to be repaired under warranty. Sucks because I've had my Focals in for a month and still haven't heard them play yet. :(

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How'd you get those to fit?? I was considering that exact same speaker, but didn't find it possible to move the window back enough without having to modify the door. I'm trying to avoid custom panels. Pic's please.

·
Registered
426 Posts
ej20fan said:
How'd you get those to fit?? I was considering that exact same speaker, but didn't find it possible to move the window back enough without having to modify the door. I'm trying to avoid custom panels. Pic's please.
Not sure who your asking, but I'll tell you what I did. :D

https://w109.webminders.com/iaperformance/catalog.asp?action=showCatalog&typeNumber=44&sectionNumber=59

I'll swear by those adapters :), if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have been able to install the speakers by myself. I bought the "Thick kit" (E-mail, IA if you're not sure which ones to get), it came with all the nuts, screws, and fasteners to painlessly install the focals and the Quarts. The Quarts only needed the adapters, and fit perfectly. The Focals on the other hand required a little more work.

The Focals required the adaptors, but I also had to place a few washers (supplied with the kit) around the bolt that holds the window to the door panel. I also trimmed some of the honeycomb plastic mesh on the back of the door panel, with a razor so the speaker could fit a little easier. I had to make custom bracket to fit the crossovers within the door, but other than that it was pretty easy. No dremeling or metal cutting/trimming was required. If you want I'll post pics tommorrow. Hope this helps. :)

·
ClubWRX.net Vendor
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. I thought the rubber surround and possibly the cone would rub against the door panel, as the excursion on that speaker is pretty high. That mid from Focal can move some serious air, and therefore moves the cone a considerable amount. I hope you'll never prove me right, as I'm dying to swap out what I have. I actually ditched my bolt and made a new bracket for my window. I'll post pics when I get it back from the bodyshop. I've got my fingers crossed. Here's a hint, when you do get those playing, the tweeter may prove a little too intrusive/bright. A 10ohm 10watt resistor from radio shack will smoothen it out for you, giving it a warmer feel/sound. I usually ditch the cross-over and build my own from mylar caps and resistors. I'll keep my opinion on x-overs to myself as I don't want to incite a debate on the quality, or lack thereof.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yeah, I'm a little worried about them rubbing. Hopefully I'll get that damn amp back and update you on what happens.

And just about everyone has told the same thing about the tweets. I already have the Xover set at it's lowest setting. :D

You make your own Xovers!?!? That's sweet!! I bet that gives you alot of control over sound quality. Right now, I can't comment on the Focal Xovers as I really havn't had a chance to listen to them, but I lack the technical know-how and the time to make a pair of my own, so I'll just settle for what I have. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
clarion vrx650
clarion vs735

soundstream rubicon 600

cdt 6.1 seperates
cdt 5.25 coax

only complaint so far, low pre-outs on the clarion...luv the amp and speakers

1 - 20 of 87 Posts