ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 STi and I'm trying to put on my front license plates but apparently the 2 front screws that attach the plates to the bumpers won't get tight like the ones in the back... if you keep turning it the screws will keep turning... is this normal? Should that be "tight" enough for my plates?

·
Registered
956 Posts
ops must have striped the plastic or something

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hybrid gti 2 said:
ops must have striped the plastic or something
How? I got my car... and as soon as I got home took those ugly frames from the dealer and have not touched it until a couple days ago when I wanted to put on the frames? Is it safe to put my plates like that? Should I take it to the dealer? Maybe I'm not using the appropriate screws (although its the one that came with the car from the dealer)? :unhappy:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
That's how my wife's front plates were too. Just buy longer screws or take the plate off completely. I think the car looks much better without the plate even though it's illegal in most states.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If the screw keeps turning then just buy a bigger screw or put a lug behind it..and if you can keep it off, do it..i agree it looks better.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
04Suubaroo said:
If the screw keeps turning then just buy a bigger screw or put a lug behind it..and if you can keep it off, do it..i agree it looks better.
Longer screws or bigger screws? What do you mean by put a log behind it? Can I even reach behind those screws? If I decided to ignore this and just let the original screws like that, will it eventually fall off? I can't keep it off... I live in LA and cops are anal as hell over here... I already have a somewhat loud exhaust and illegal tinting... don't want another reason to get pulled over.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If your driving an STi i bet it would fall off :) ..if you buy a bigger screw i dont know what screw you can get just that much bigger for it to fit and not be too big..have you thought of adding glue to the screw neck so it stays..even though it doesnt acutally "screw" in?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
04Suubaroo said:
If your driving an STi i bet it would fall off :) ..if you buy a bigger screw i dont know what screw you can get just that much bigger for it to fit and not be too big..have you thought of adding glue to the screw neck so it stays..even though it doesnt acutally "screw" in?
Maybe I should just go complain to the dealership...

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
i have a jap plate on the front of my rex....i think it looks pretty good
im in PA by the way so i dont need 1 up front...i have a high res pic if you guys want it just send me a pm

·
Registered
331 Posts
you need rims! i hate the stock wrx rims... they are so skinny, and add no stance to the look of the car what so ever

im ditching my stock tires and wheels ASAP!!!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dealer gave me longer AND thicker screws and I still can't tighten them! They keep turning and stuff... I mean, they are tight enough that you can't move them with your fingers, but I worry that they might get loose because of daily driving... what do you guys think?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Leave it off until you get pulled over for it, at which point the officer will give you a warning and than worry about getting it on. Just make sure you have the plate in your car and say it fell off when you where driving.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spinin4 said:
Leave it off until you get pulled over for it, at which point the officer will give you a warning and than worry about getting it on. Just make sure you have the plate in your car and say it fell off when you where driving.
I wanna do that but don't really wanna deal with cops... I live in SoCal and cops here are anal about every little thing. I wanna have my plates on but I am just worried that they will fall off since it doesn't tighten well. It seems secure but I am worried that vibrations and wind speed might loosen the screws.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How many people have had this problem? I took off my plates because the screws were definitely loose and would have fallen off eventually. I'll take it to the dealer when I have time to see what they think... and they better have a solution to this problem. :unhappy:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Um, you're screwing into plastic, that's your problem. Once the screws feel snug, turn them another 1/4-1/2 turn and stop. You can't make screws stop turning when all you're tapping into is plastic, it just strips out if you keep going. Think about it logically...

·
Registered
181 Posts
How many people have had this problem? I took off my plates because the screws were definitely loose and would have fallen off eventually. I'll take it to the dealer when I have time to see what they think... and they better have a solution to this problem. :unhappy:
I have the same problem since i got my car. the screws havent come off. theres about 1 mm space between the plate and screw. it hasnt bugged me to the point that im gonna fix it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts