ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so it's my first oil change on my 04 WRX. I'm extremely frustrated because I CANNOT remove the oil filter as hard as I try. What's weird is that the oil filter on there now is smaller in diameter than the right sized purolator. I'm probably going to have to take it into some shop and have them pry off the filter because I simply can't do it. Has anyone had this problem?

·
1,816 Posts
If it absolutely won't come off by hand. Jam/Stab the filter with a screwdriver and use the leverage to get it off. Its not pretty, but it'll let you remove the old filter to put a new one on.

-Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
digitalexpl0it said:
happens on my 2003 all the time I use the screw driver method every 3k miles
maybe you should put a bead of fresh oil on the rubber seal. and only hand tighten it, 1/4 turn after it stops. you should never have to screw driver anything. should always come off turning by hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thank you for all the tips. I went underneath my car last night, jammed a screwdriver into the filter and gave a good turn and VOILA! I was able to remove by hand after that. I drained the oil, put in my new Fumoto valve, and filled her up. I'm hoping next time will be a lot easier. Again, thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My GF's car was done by a shop, and they had it on tight, so I put on a rubber dishwashing glove to give me grip, and twisted it off with some effort.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
I just use a big pair of channel-lock pliers.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Just a tip for you guys. The scredriver method works but is damn messy. the channel lock pliers work but space is limited under there. My dad the mechanic gave me an interesting solution. He works on big trucks.

Try a leather belt. Slip it over and through the buckle. Then in the opposite direction, pull the belt so that it cinches the filter. pull in a circular fashion and ...woila! Filter loosens and comes off with your hand. Works in tight areas where wrenches don't reach... like those damn Acura and Honda engines.:cool:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
dont know if it was you or someone else who recommended the leather belt thing to me a few months back, but when nothing else worked it did the trick. two thumbs up...
o-|-<) bryan

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pwk0202 said:
Well thank you for all the tips. I went underneath my car last night, jammed a screwdriver into the filter and gave a good turn and VOILA! I was able to remove by hand after that. I drained the oil, put in my new Fumoto valve, and filled her up. I'm hoping next time will be a lot easier. Again, thanks for all the help.
How's the Fumoto go on? Is there good ground clearance? Im always afraid that those things hang to low. I love the idea but Im always thinking about them getting knocked off by some road debris. I used to have a Fram Sure Drain on my Frontier PU and it was great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far the Fumoto is great. Not leaking or anything. The ground clearance is wonderful - no problem at all. So don't worry about it.

·
Moderating U!
6,318 Posts
WRX05 said:
How's the Fumoto go on? Is there good ground clearance? Im always afraid that those things hang to low. I love the idea but Im always thinking about them getting knocked off by some road debris. I used to have a Fram Sure Drain on my Frontier PU and it was great.
I had a fumotovalve on my WRX for more than 30k miles and it never got damaged even with the nipple section which makes it longer. I am looking into getting one for my SRT-4 as well.

http://www.fumotovalve.com

·
Boba Fett
17,939 Posts
I've got the fumoto with a notch going down five threads into the thing. Still oil is retained in the base of the pan when draining so I wind up having to remove the thing entirely when changing my oil. It still makes oil changes a lot easier though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts