ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I was just wondering if you auto tranny guys could hear your turbo? I was at the gas station the other day and a guy drove buy and I am pretty sure it was an auto but I couldn't hear the turbo spool at all. He got on it pretty good too. Can you hear it at all inside or outside the car? Just wondering.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a manual but just as a point of reference... when the RPM's are up there at around 4000+, I can hear it whistling away... Anything below that is pretty hard to hear... How high does your auto usually rev to before shifting?

·
Registered
153 Posts
actualy i can hear it whine at around 2300 until 3000, after that, the engine drowns it out, its very noticeable, cool sound. around 3000, it sounds like the turbo works a lot harder

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats cool. I was really curious about that. I am used to turbos on disel engines such as tractors and our ram pickup on the farm and you can hear the turbo a mile away on those. I still haven't driven a regular WRX but I drove an STI and it screams on those. If the dealer near me ever gets a regular auto in stock I will go drive it.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
it helps if you're near a wal of some kind. the whistle bounces off of fences, dividers, shrubs and all sorts of barriers. i've heard mine in the low 2k.

I think you hear it when the boost raises, not when the engine revs. I usually hear mine at a (guess) 4~5lbs. My guage is in BAR.

·
Registered
677 Posts
yeah I can hear mine a lot.

I think it matters whether you have downpipe etc on whether you can hear it.

I hear a lot of exhaust sound, intake sucking sound, turbo whistling sound, and the pssh of the BOV when I get off the gas

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a dp and uppipe and silencer removed and i can hear it at all times of any spool as low as take off. a little whistling whisper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts