Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm off to Basic Training/AIT for the National Guard Wednesday, and I'll be home Christmas. I have every intention of buying a WRX for myself once I get home. I want to add a few mods to it so I can call it my own. Can you guys just give me a basic overview of things IE headers, blow off valves, etc? Or at least point me to a site that will help me? Thanks for your time

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
Hello,

Welcome to the board. Let's see, go through the website and you'll get tons of more detailed information about how you can upgrade the turbo and suspension. I'll run you an estimate of how much everything's going to cost.

Basic Engine Mods:

Boost Gauge ~$150
Manual boost controller ~$80-150
or a Electric Boost Controller $300-600
Turbo timer (optional, but some of them come with cool features like quarter mile times etc.) $100-150
Blow off Valve $140-300
K&N intake filter $30-50
Intake (cold air or regular) $200-300
Exhaust $500-1200

For suspension:
Springs $200-300
Shocks $500-1000
Full Coilover suspensions $1200-$5000 (full rally suspension)
Swaybars (front/rear) ~$150-350 each
Strut bars ~$150-300 each
Bushings, control arms, and all that other goodies.

That's some of the basics you can do to make your car accelerate more or corner better. If you have unlimited funds you might want to add a bodykit, upgrade the headlights, get a shortshifter, or upgrade your rims/tires, intercooler, and the list goes ON AND ON!

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
<ahem>

well done tim. jeez

but blazin makes a point, there is really no end to the money you could spend on these. it really gets ugly. but customizing is what makes it all interesting and thats all fun!

visual, aero, performance, and other mods information is scattered all over this site, take a quick parousing, and if there are any questions, go ahead and post in one of the many sections. the timing here is pretty quick, and everyone's friendly and informative...

welcome.

dark_rex

·
Registered
316 Posts
Don't forget to add a new tranny in the list if you're planning on making more than 260 ft of torque which will run you about ~$5000 + labor :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the quick response. I have been lurking here for about a month and know some of the things you can do, but what are some simple mods that a person with no clue can do? Like, I know dropping in K&N air filters will add a few more HP, what are some other mods someone with rudimentary knowledge of a car could do. Thanks again

·
Registered
87 Posts
Personally, I think that the TurboXS setup is the easiest and best way to increase engine output.
Stage 1 comes with:
plug and play unichip with custom map.
K&N Filter
2.5" muffler.
Dyno'd to 265hp

Stage 2 adds
3" turbo back exhaust
Bigger TMIC
IC sprayers

Its plug and play, all the fuel maps have been developed and fine tuned so you never have to worry about detonation or anything.
It comes in stages 1-3.

I will be going with a Stage 2 after the engine is well broken in, except I plan to put in an M2 turbo back exhaust instead of their exhaust.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey don't forget the ever "important" stereo upgrades. I think it's crazy how much modding can be done to this car. I'm just really glad that there aren't as many nasty body kits available for Subarus

·
Registered
554 Posts
Don't forget, a boost gauge is the most important part of it all if you mess with the boost at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts